Ilkay Gundogan - 2016/17 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just now watching the start of the 2nd half - just wow. How good is Gundogan?

Hasn't put a foot wrong yet and has made some passes that I'd swear were impossible.

It's so fun to watch CIty now - every single player on the pitch, keeper included, is great with the ball. We're going to destroy everyone in the EPL (Pool a possible exception) this year.
His technique and decision-making in tight spaces and other tough situations is an absolute joy to watch.

His technique and decision-making in tight spaces and other tough situations is an absolute joy to watch.
This!

Some of the so-called pundits are predicting tough times ahead for City due to KDB's injury.

Although KDB is an important player for us - he's certainly not indispensable. Silva and Gundogan can fill KDB's position (centrally) and on the wing we have many excellent replacements as well.

We are 2 or usually 3 players deep at each position with but two exceptions.

If Bravo goes down we'll take a big hit in performance. I love Willy for his commitment to the team; but he's just not good enough on the ball.

And Fernandinho - we lack a box-to-box midfielder replacement who can cover for our passing mistakes and once the ball is won, make decisive passes forward. To me, Fernandinho is our most irreplaceable player followed very closely by Bravo.

Pep is a perfectionist - I fully expect us to sign suitable back-ups for Fernandinho and Bravo in the Winter window.

Last edited:
This!

Some of the so-called pundits are predicting tough times ahead for City due to KDB's injury.

Although KDB is an important player for us - he's certainly not indispensable. Silva and Gundogan can fill KDB's position (centrally) and on the wing we have many excellent replacements as well.

We are 2 or usually 3 players deep at each position with but two exceptions.

If Bravo goes down we'll take a big hit in performance. I love Willy for his commitment to the team; but he's just not good enough on the ball.

And Fernandinho - we lack a box-to-box midfielder replacement who can cover for our passing mistakes and once the ball is won, make decisive passes forward. To me, Fernandinho is our most irreplaceable player followed very closely by Bravo.

Pep is a perfectionist - I fully expect us to sign suitable back-ups for Fernandinho and Bravo in the Winter window.
People may laugh but we already have aroon mooy on our books.

People may laugh but we already have aroon mooy on our books.

Yes, that is hilarious.

Fernando is the adequate replacement for Fernandinho, with his ability to get a foot in & pass it on and quick movement & passing from Silva & Gundogan, our drive & pace with De Bruyne & Sterling. He probably will strengthen in Jan but if the squad is fit and Jesus joins us I don't see any weak areas except for goalkeeper.

It's a strange one because it's always going to be a weak area. Unless we have a situation like Barca have had the past few years with 2 keepers sharing the role you'll get your main number one and a crap alternative that makes you uncomfortable for 90 mins when they step in. I can only remember when we had Hart/Given it being a genuine battle for the shirt and that didn't last too long.

Fernando is the adequate replacement for Fernandinho,
Against weak sides that we'd pretty much beat no matter what - yes.

Against strong opposition where our defensive midfielder must not only win the ball but must function as an incisive passer even when under pressure - Fernando doesn't cut the bill at all.

It's a huge drop off in performance - even more so than replacing Bravo with Caballero.

Fernandinho is our most irreplaceable player IMO, closely followed by Bravo.

Against weak sides that we'd pretty much beat no matter what - yes.

Against strong opposition where our defensive midfielder must not only win the ball but must function as an incisive passer even when under pressure - Fernando doesn't cut the bill at all.

It's a huge drop off in performance - even more I'd say than replacing Bravo with Caballero.

Fernandinho is our most irreplaceable player IMO, closely followed by Bravo.

Of course if Fernandinho could be replaced like for like then it would be done. But I haven't seen anyone so far, to do that, either in our squad, nor anyone else's. He is the best imo.

Gundogan imo, is a great player (when fit) one of the best, but he's not Fernandinho & can't replace him in that job, unless the rest of the team is also changed to balance it.

Fernando is great defensively but not Fernandinho in other areas.

We need to remember however, that Fernando has been playing under The Pelle . We have never seen him fully fit, with a run of games, in a balanced team. He turned in one or two top quality performances when Pelle changed tactics briefly.

We have seen Fernando in a midfield two, sometimes with Yaya, in front of Demichelis, Mangala & last season's Kolarov. We started that team v LIVERPOOL. Gundogan in the same position, under the same manager, would have had the worst game he has ever had, since he first kicked a football, even if 100% fit.

For all we know, Fernando behind Gundogan & A.N. Other with wingers & fullbacks dropping in & pressing etc, might be a fantastic pairing.

Kolarov for example was no less vulnerable or better at fullback on Saturday than he was typically last season, but it got covered by the team.

We have not seen Fernando play a run of games under a competent manager, let alone working for Pep.

Last edited:
Yes, that is hilarious.

Fernando is the adequate replacement for Fernandinho, with his ability to get a foot in & pass it on and quick movement & passing from Silva & Gundogan, our drive & pace with De Bruyne & Sterling. He probably will strengthen in Jan but if the squad is fit and Jesus joins us I don't see any weak areas except for goalkeeper.

It's a strange one because it's always going to be a weak area. Unless we have a situation like Barca have had the past few years with 2 keepers sharing the role you'll get your main number one and a crap alternative that makes you uncomfortable for 90 mins when they step in. I can only remember when we had Hart/Given it being a genuine battle for the shirt and that didn't last too long.
Why is it hilarious mate ?
He's the best player to come out of Australia for years and is getting rave reviews at Huddersfield helping them to go top.
I would take him over delph and Fernando now.
Have you even seen him play ?
Why not check out the aroon mooy thread on here to see what other blues think of him ?

Although in theory I think you're right, this still remains to be seen.
Even if City appear to be a very different side to last year's, I think we can all remember the horrendous run City had at the end of last season when De Bruyne got injured.
And if you look at the goal contribution % De Bruyne has, is just phenomenal, no one at City comes even close, so other players will need to step up and take over that enormous goal scoring threat.
But I do think they will cope now under Pep, it just needs proof first.

Think his shooting needs to be better.

Didn't do anything wrong but still doesn't seem up to speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.