Ilkay Gundogan - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sense a bit more hesitancy in his play since his injury - I could just be looking into it too much, but I feel like he's a bit more reserved and often dives out of a challenge or tries to play a quick pass, rather than taking the contact. Can't blame him for it even if it is the case, he's not had the best of luck.

I feel he'll have a massive part to play this season, though. As the fixtures start to pile up, having him fit and firing as a backup to KDB is absolutely huge. When on top of his game, I don't think there's a massive gulf in quality between Gundo and Kevin, we are just yet to see that this season, but he hasn't really been given a fair run of games to show it yet.

Gundogan struggled to get in the game last night just like De Bruyne did because they weren’t getting the service from our back 5 if you include Yaya. Walker and Otamendi tried but Mangala struggled and Danilo telegraphs everything because he’s got to come inside every time onto his right foot. Yaya might as well have been sat up in SS3 with me.

Strange. I thought he was fantastic. Great touch under pressure, great moment off the ball and help break down Feyernord the few times they pressed.

There really wasn't a drop off in performance in the middle, we simply didn't have the wingers to fly at them and they doubled the wingers every time.

I think it was less about how poorly we played and more about how resolutely Feyernord defended.

He was the 2nd best player on the field for me after Sterling.
I thought he was better once Yaya went off and his assist was very nice. However, I agree with most that think he was a bit peripheral before that. V difficult with so many changes. Would like to see him get time in our best team alongside Fern and Dave/Kev with Gabby, Raz and leroy in front of him.

great chance for Gundy to shine tonight against the saints, every time he's started a game there have been several changes and we have looked disjointed , hopefully he will show his class in a virtually full strength team. Just backed him at 9/1 to score first , a fool and his money :)

When I see Gundogan play, it seems really obvious that there's a potentially world class midfielder in there, but he's not quite on the same wavelength at the moment - I think he needs to play a lot more in the next few weeks because if he does click, we will be able to rotate Silva and/or De Bruyne with no worries at all, and that could make a massive difference come April and May.

I'd much rather see what he can do in the Fernandinho position as he's just not getting involved enough further forwards and isn't contributing enough to warrant playing there. He's starting to move well again which is good to see, but we need to get him in a position to make a real difference in games

He needs to play but with Sane out it rendered the left hand side completely useless. Delph has been magnificent behind Sane but if there was one complaint it's that he is allergic to passing forwards. This is ok when Sane is on the wing and Silva is inside him. Without Sane, the left sided, central midfield position was key tonight and for me resting Silva was the wrong thing to do. Gundogan look half-arsed, whether it's a fitness thing or it's a mental thing from the injuries, he just wasn't at the races.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.