Ilkay Gundogan - 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. You saw him playing in midfield.

You will never ever see him stopping Fellaini or Harry Kane, from winning what would otherwise be free headers.

So therefore one of the other players is filling in for Fernandinho, in every one of those situations, when he is off the pitch. They now have an extra job, each.

I saw him playing at the base of midfield, where Fernandinho plays, I accept his role in that position is different to Fernandinho and that the team adapts to acvomodate that but that is no different to the team adapting to accomodate an inverted left back instead of an attacking full back.

My point is he can fill in there to spare Fernandinho's legs on occasion.

I saw him playing at the base of midfield, where Fernandinho plays, I accept his role in that position is different to Fernandinho and that the team adapts to acvomodate that but that is no different to the team adapting to accomodate an inverted left back instead of an attacking full back.

My point is he can fill in there to spare Fernandinho's legs on occasion.

He can play that position I agree (I don't agree he was especially good there in any of those games but he did ok & the team did ok in covering for Fern with him in it) but it's not ideal in the Premier League, & nor would Jorginho have been.

But imo he was signed & is at his best as a front foot player, not a fill in for Fern & before his recent injury, he showed us some of the ability we signed him for, as he did v Utd.

We have not seen much of that, since we brought him to the club, but there are signs that we are about to.

It is not difficult to grasp: he is not Fernandinho! He plays the game differently, as do KDB, Bernardo and David. He is a very effective player and we are blessed to have such a squad. His touch is exquisite, he can finish, find a pass, maintain possession, play on the half turn and he is fuss free. So what he plays the game differently to Fern!

It is not difficult to grasp: he is not Fernandinho! He plays the game differently, as do KDB, Bernardo and David. He is a very effective player and we are blessed to have such a squad. His touch is exquisite, he can finish, find a pass, maintain possession, play on the half turn and he is fuss free. So what he plays the game differently to Fern!

He has much more in common with all of those & if he can 'fill in' for Fernandinho, so can they (& Foden).

great sub by Pep , he calmed the midfield and scored a good goal with a clever forward run , i know there are a few on here who have doubts about him , but i think he is going to be invaluable if we can keep him fit this season , has the experience especially in europe and as he is German so we know he will score a vital penalty when needed :)

People like to compare against other players. It gives them a context to assess strengths and weaknesses. Because he doesn't particularly outshine any of the other midfielders in any of the usual categories, many decided he was " not a City player".

I would agree with your accurate, succinct evaluation of him .

People like to compare against other players. It gives them a context to assess strengths and weaknesses. Because he doesn't particularly outshine any of the other midfielders in any of the usual categories, many decided he was " not a City player".

I would agree with your accurate, succinct evaluation of him .
Well said. We have four centre backs who are very different, two very different right backs, two very different strikers, two very different star centre midfielders (Silva and KDB), and most prominantly three extremely different left backs (with two of them not originally being left backs) and we've made it work. Jorginho had he come in would have been an alternative for Fernandinho too, despite being a very different player. Gundogan has his own skill set and whilst I'm not convinced he's best as a DM, chances are if we were forced into playing him in that role for a significant length of time, we'd make it work.

Gundo is a very gifted center mid who's best position seems to be the more advanced of a holding midfield pair - he's not great at playing the sole DM - nor is he gifted enough at passing to play a pure AM role. Gundo has a great shot, can pass fairly proficiently and can play defense fairly well. He's not world class at any of these things but is good/excellent at all three - he's a so-called "tweener" - somewhere between pure attacking mid and defensive mid.

I like Gundo and think he can fit into out squad; but don't overly criticism him when assigned to play a pure attacking mid or defensive mid role.

Some people might not like him but his goal secured the three points today just like it did in the derby. He's not Kev but he's still an important squad player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.