Ilkay Gundogan - 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just believe that a few members on here unfairly make Gundogan the scapegoat too easily. Just so happenef that I chose your post to respond to, because I was annoyed at Delph being claimed better.

In retrospect, I can see that you do offer your point of view fairly, so I was probably wrong to bite like I did.

I do feel for Gundogan though, as he could have been so much more for us, but has regrettably missed the boat, in all probability, now.

I do agree that we need a bona fide replacement/helper for Fernandinho. Just don't believe that Delph is that man.

No worries. And for what it's worth I don't think Delph is either!

I'd love Gundogan to succeed, but I don't think he has the mentality to make it with us, no doubt in part due to his injuries.

Fortunately for us both, I suspect that Gundogan and Delph will be off relatively soon, with a new DM and Foden taking their places.

For all those saying Gundogan slows the play down, do you know how he is being asked to play by the manager?

Football cannot be played at 100mph for 90 minutes. somebody has to regulate the pace of the game, otherwise everyone would be f*cked at HT. Gundogan slowing the game down allows the players to recover and get back in position. When opportunities open up, he has the vision and ability to play the killer pass to open up the space for our pace players to take advantage of.

Truly think the issue is you don't play KDB with Gundogan, play either of them with a Silva and you see a better midfield balance. End of.

[
Don’t want to wade into the general Ilkay debate, as I’ve found there is no way to have a nuanced discussion about him, but the headed chance did happen in the first half: Sergio was available, onside, to the keeper’s left when Ilkay was picked out with a floated ball. Unfortunately, he tamely headed it straight at the keeper (rather than picking out Sergio for what would have been a high probability chance), who caught the ball standing upright and then tried to launch a counter with a throw. Ilkay stood with his hands on his head looking up to the heavens in frustration whilst everyone else ran out of the box to continue play. No judgement of the sequence, just confirmation of occurrence.
Often try not to wade into these things anymore. But yes he did head a floated ball that the keeper caught, I believe it was an honest attempt to float it back across the middle.

But Gundogan generally doesn't get the benefit of the doubt every other Midfielder seems to be afforded.

But, it worked last season, no?
No, in fact, I remember there was a game last season (can't remember which one) where we played Kevin and Gundogan together (we don't do it often) and everyone complained like they are now. I made similar comments back as I am now, there dynamics do not mix. Sometimes it can work of course, but I think overall our midfield ir far more balanced with one of the silvas and one of kev/gundogan. Both silvas also works because of Bernardo particular qualities.

No, in fact, I remember there was a game last season (can't remember which one) where we played Kevin and Gundogan together (we don't do it often) and everyone complained like they are now. I made similar comments back as I am now, there dynamics do not mix. Sometimes it can work of course, but I think overall our midfield ir far more balanced with one of the silvas and one of kev/gundogan. Both silvas also works because of Bernardo particular qualities.
I mean, but what about the times it worked, like Tottenham at home or Napoli away, or many of other games David Silva wasn't about where we played rather well?

Is it not possible that KDB still getting back to fitness combined with the fact it was his and Gundogan and Fern's first match together that is affecting things?

Things take time, and as evidenced with other individuals (eg Danilo & Jesus) a consistent run can help, whereas a broken run can stall things. So is it not possible that if the trio were to get more time together, like they often did last season, then it could work? Like it did last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.