Ilkay Gundogan - 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great goal yesterday. He's a very good squad player, he's improved a lot recently and he's a likeable personality but IMO his pressing/tackling/energy is still a weakness for DCM, (maybe a result of previous injuries?).

It would be nice to keep him if he's happy with rotation but when Ferny and KDB are back, he wouldn't be in my strongest starting side.

I know we need to replace Ferny soon, and it may sound harsh, but I think we could buy a DCM who better fills the gap when Ferny's not available. KDB's injuries this season are a concern, and despite bad injuries early on in his career, Gundogan has done well staying injury free.

With his contract running down. It's either sell him this summer or get him to sign a new deal, (if he's not asking too much?). A difficult call for the management team.

Really started to improve with a good run in the side, no longer do I get that feeling in the pit of my stomach whenever his name is on the team sheet.

The cost to replace him with a player of similar quality would be eye-watering.

Certainly had his detractors this season but it says a lot that the continued absence of Fernandinho has had a negligible impact on our form and that’s testament to how well he’s been able to slot in.

Fair play.
This sums Gundog up for me. He has become very hard to replace.

For me, Ilkay and Bernardo dragged us over the line. His second half of the season has been excellent.

His evident pain at the CL elimination endeared me to him even more. He clearly cared.

After the Newcastle result we were essentially tasked with winning 14 out of 14 games to retain the title. He started 13 of those games and ran the show in a good number of them too.

Exceptional second half yesterday and to the season.

He is starting to assert himself more in the ways we miss when Dinho is not playing which proved crucial for the run-in.

If he can build on that, and continue his current form, I would have no issue with him staying and regularly playing in centre midfield for us.

We do probably still need another DM/CM, though, given David and Dinho are regrettably on their way out, as Foden will come in to the fold for David but we do not really have anyone for Dinho (sharing time / covering Gundogan if he stays). Whether the club feel they are already in the academy ranks or need to be found elsewhere I am not sure. That may not happen this summer, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.