Ilkay Gundogan - 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
This proves what ?

Gundogan doesn't see himself as a deep mid (Pep specifically said the same on Sky a few weeks ago) he sees himself playing as more of an attacking mid.

His second position is deeper.

People are asking for him to be removed from his actual position, in reality, because hechasn't been good enough, then assuming he will be better in his 2nd position because he was ok there a few times previously.

I am advising extreme caution on that assumption.

Tbh I'm completely unwilling to accept basic stats on pass completion (or anything else for that matter) unless the circumstances & end result are taken into consideration. One of his pass completion stats for Tues involved him giving the ball to Fernandinho with two players charging him down & no out ball. Other times he misses a forward passing opportunity & plays it to defenders who are then pressed.

The stat difference between Fern & Gundogan in possession is not worth talking about imo & I think Fernandinho make stuff happen a lot more than Gundogan does.

He plays well in a comfort zone imo & we need him to take the strain from people lik Fern & Silva which he currently can't do.

He has had a fairly consistent run as a regular in the team now & imo anyone who says they would look at his performances & want to sign him, even cheap, if he was at another club, would be telling lies.

I think City are currently better when he doesn't play.

I still try to hope that will change but it's looking less likely with each game.

I don't disagree with a lot of your points above but your dismissal of stats is a bit of a yawn. Also, one example of a misjudged pass is just that one example so I refuse to accept that has any validity: every player does that. As I said when I studied him closely for a game, his judgement was very sound but not perfect, IMO.

I also think it's absolute bollocks that other (good) clubs wouldn't want to sign him.

He's become a whipping boy and it's undeserved IMO. That doesn't mean he doesn't have faults or that he couldn't be braver and more adventurous or that I'd rather see other players in the inside forward roles before him...

Gundogan doesn't see himself as a deep mid (Pep specifically said the same on Sky a few weeks ago) he sees himself playing as more of an attacking mid.

His second position is deeper.

People are asking for him to be removed from his actual position, in reality, because hechasn't been good enough, then assuming he will be better in his 2nd position because he was ok there a few times previously.

I am advising extreme caution on that assumption.

Actually it proves no such thing, just a player talking about where he thinks he's more likely to play.

You do realise that Gundog is the only viable alternative we have to Dinho ?

He should play there more and give Dinho (who isn't looking great) a rest.

If anything, he is getting progressively worse with each performance.

Also seems a bit heavier, which won't exactly improve his lazy streak.

Nice guy, seemingly, but Foden deserves to show what he can do in a couple of meaningful starts.

You never know, we actually might have a homegrown, City supporting superstar, right under our nose.

Said it loads of time, Gundo has been playing for a while now like he's dragging an open parachute behind him.

Foden deserves a shot, he can't be any worse than what Gundo has been offering.

I don't disagree with a lot of your points above but your dismissal of stats is a bit of a yawn. Also, one example of a misjudged pass is just that one example so I refuse to accept that has any validity: every player does that. As I said when I studied him closely for a game, his judgement was very sound but not perfect, IMO.

I also think it's absolute bollocks that other (good) clubs wouldn't want to sign him.

He's become a whipping boy and it's undeserved IMO. That doesn't mean he doesn't have faults or that he couldn't be braver and more adventurous or that I'd rather see other players in the inside forward roles before him...

The kind of stats used on here are often bollocks & too simple & don't actually show tbe true picture which the more advanced stats do. Somebody even posted some genuine dtats to back that up re Fernandinho but that didn't suit the stat narrtive on here so went quietly under the radar.

My point re Gundogan wasn't that 'other clubs' wouldn't sign him, it was that if he was currently playing for another club, & turning in these identical performances, nobody on here would be saying 'let's sign this fella' 'he's what we need' and imo anyone who says they would is telling porkies.

He wouldn't even have a thread in the transfer forum.

A lot of people are currently accepting mediocrity as being ok for City

Actually it proves no such thing, just a player talking about where he thinks he's more likely to play.

You do realise that Gundog is the only viable alternative we have to Dinho ?

He should play there more and give Dinho (who isn't looking great) a rest.

No it's a player who is saying where he wants to play & what he considers his position to be. Clearly. He isn't any more likely to take a shirt off David Silva or KDB than Fernandinho.

He is currently the main option to replace Fernandinho because we haven't tried much else & as the video of the Chelsea game from a while back shows, if nobody presses him, & his team dominate possession, he can do that job adequately.

But if we put him in v the wrong team, imo we will be tortured

No it's a player who is saying where he wants to play & what he considers his position to be. Clearly. He isn't any more likely to take a shirt off David Silva or KDB than Fernandinho.

He is currently the main option to replace Fernandinho because we haven't tried much else & as the video of the Chelsea game from a while back shows, if nobody presses him, & his team dominate possession, he can do that job adequately.

But if we put him in v the wrong team, imo we will be tortured

The quote is open to interpretation but given his playing record I'd back my take.

You do know that against 'the wrong team' Dinho gets tortured as well right ?

And once again we don't have much other option do we ? Who would you suggest we rotate with Dinho ?

Pep recently suggested he saw Gundogan as a player to make things happen around the penalty area, even seemed to.imply he might score goals.

I wws excited about it until I then saw him play.

If he plays in Fern's position in games where we are totally dominating & everyone is clicking, it's easy for him to just knock the ball about.

If we play him there v a side who goes after him, imo he will struggle as badly, or worse, than he did v Lyon.

We have to be careful in which games we use him in that role imo.

Exactly as I see it. Against cannon fodder fine as a squad player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.