Ilkay Gundogan - 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Credit where it's due. He had his 2nd good game of the season. Well done Ilkay

I think you meant to say second good game in succession as he was superb against Leicester which was his previous start. He's been excellent in virtually every game he's played in e.g. the 13 straight wins on the trot at the end of last season.

Stats can be misleading, for example there were at least two awful passes that missed their target and our player had to run 10-20 yards to collect the ball. However, because he generally passes backwards, there were no Everton players near enough to intercept so it would go down as a completed successful pass, when in fact it was shit.

Love it when he does try to play forwards though as he's great at those through balls from deep.

I like him in the deep role when we have the ball, but he's a liability when we're defending and a better team would have exposed that again last night.

Most players generally pass backwards it's called keeping possession.

Most players generally pass backwards it's called keeping possession.

I don't think its about passing backwards with Gundogan. He is obsessed with passing the way he is facing when he receives the ball. This is fine for the most part, its typically the safest option for retaining possession. However there are a few occasions every game where he receives the ball in the middle of the park in acres of space but refuses to turn ala KDB or Silva.

I don't think its about passing backwards with Gundogan. He is obsessed with passing the way he is facing when he receives the ball. This is fine for the most part, its typically the safest option for retaining possession. However there are a few occasions every game where he receives the ball in the middle of the park in acres of space but refuses to turn ala KDB or Silva.

I don’t know man... I feel like that must be what Pep tells him to do I.e control the game. KDB and Silva are freaks of nature... some of the greatest to play the game.

i think if Pep wanted him playing like that, surely he would’ve by now. I believe he plays the way he does is because that’s how he is told to. We have seen him pushed up farther up the midfield and do amazing things, however we just have better midfielders to do that.

I think you meant to say second good game in succession as he was superb against Leicester which was his previous start. He's been excellent in virtually every game he's played in e.g. the 13 straight wins on the trot at the end of last season.

He really hasn't. He has actually been at fault for certain defeats & draws via poor clearances & losing the ball. It's happened numerous times.

That's not even close to being true.

Yes it is. If you break down the total number of passes we make in a game, which is probably more than any other team, then I would guess it is orobably split three ways between back square and forward. For us the ball is constantly recycled which means going back a lot e.g. Mahrez usually does it especially against packed defences. Gundogan s job is to keep recycling the ball and he does it brilliantly but sadly those who do not understand will never appreciate what he does. Not everyone is in the team for going past three players and shooting etc. As for the nonsense some come out with that he never passes the ball forward he did at least three superb defence splitting passes yesterday alone as well as supplying Jesus for the first goal but let's not let the facts get in the way !

I can't think of any perhaps you can enlighten us !?

Not sure who the us is but I can enlighten you a bit with 2 that come straight into my head.

Awful clearance at Anfield straight to Fabinho who shot & scored to make it 1-0 (we was controlling the match until that point)

1-1 away at Atalanta 10 minutes left looking like bagging a winner then Gundogan lost it on half way the striker got put through 1 on 1 with Bravo who got sent off rushing out (Walker ended up in net & we had no more chances)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.