Ilkay Gundogan - 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent yesterday.
Just so... but some fans insist that he play as Fernandinho mark 2 - which he's nearly the exact opposite of - and failure to play that way propels them to immediate dislike.

Gundo is tidy on the ball - has a very good shot - and plays best from deeper mid opposite a true destroyer - against sides that pose little threat offensively, and especially against sides that don't press him, he'll excel.

When asked to be the sole destroyer at mid against aggressive sides - Gundo will fail.

Better on the ball than Fernandinho - but worse on defense. He's not at all the same sort of player.

Last edited:
I almost forgot about him standing off Barnes in the so called superb Leicester display & letting him slide the ball in behind our defence for Vardy to score.
Oh Lord :( He did the right thing there. He came in from the middle to cover the fullback position and played it well. He positioned himself to make it hard for the guy on the ball to pass it into the area he just left (the middle) while slowing him down to allow recovery from others.

His only error in that sequence was after Barnes passed the ball he stopped to see who Barnes passed it to, and in that moment allowed Barnes to sneak behind him and start heading towards the 18. He then turned and started chasing Barnes.

Vardy's speed and timing meant the ball never came back to the middle. But that freezing after the pass was his only error in that sequence. It's a natural error that most players make all the time.

But his coverage of Barnes and only giving him an option down the line was good tactical defending. Just have to tip your hat to Vardy.

Oh Lord :( He did the right thing there. He came in from the middle to cover the fullback position and played it well. He positioned himself to make it hard for the guy on the ball to pass it into the area he just left (the middle) while slowing him down to allow recovery from others.

His only error in that sequence was after Barnes passed the ball he stopped to see who Barnes passed it to, and in that moment allowed Barnes to sneak behind him and start heading towards the 18. He then turned and started chasing Barnes.

Vardy's speed and timing meant the ball never came back to the middle. But that freezing after the pass was his only error in that sequence. It's a natural error that most players make all the time.

But his coverage of Barnes and only giving him an option down the line was good tactical defending. Just have to tip your hat to Vardy.

He didn't cover the full back position properly though. He came over and then jockeyed back. Leicester's main way of playing is knocking it down the line for Vardy & he basically said go on do that, it would have been better had he blocked that ball & made Barnes play it central. Either way we won that game I just thought I would mention it. My point was although he was excellent yesterday he hasn't been good in every game he has played for us, that was my argument with the other poster.

He didn't cover the full back position properly though. He came over and then jockeyed back. Leicester's main way of playing is knocking it down the line for Vardy & he basically said go on do that, it would have been better had he blocked that ball & made Barnes play it central. Either way we won that game I just thought I would mention it. My point was although he was excellent yesterday he hasn't been good in every game he has played for us, that was my argument with the other poster.
I'm sorry, that's not smart. In a break away you can't give up the middle. You give up the line that's defending 101. Just because they scored doesn't mean he did the wrong thing.

I appreciate the bolded portion. And I've never argued his been good in every game. He hasn't. Just like everyone else. I mean KDB was mostly bleh untill the last month and a half.

Generally speaking, his been ok. But folks always downplay his great games and overstate his average games. Your example of what to complain about in the Leicester game is an example of that.

Vardy simply beat Dihno for pace. Had that been Otamendi in Dihno's place everyone would have been whinning about how poor Otamendi was at positioning himself in light of how fast Vardy is. But since it was Dihno, it barely got mentioned.

For the record, Dihno too was generally well positioned. Came near side to play support to Gundogan but got beat in a foot race on a well passed ball.

But overall, I agree he, Gundogan, hasn't been great every game. But overall his been a net positive.

And Yesterday, he was fucking fantastic!

I'm sorry, that's not smart. In a break away you can't give up the middle. You give up the line that's defending 101. Just because they scored doesn't mean he did the wrong thing.

I appreciate the bolded portion. And I've never argued his been good in every game. He hasn't. Just like everyone else. I mean KDB was mostly bleh untill the last month and a half.

Generally speaking, his been ok. But folks always downplay his great games and overstate his average games. Your example of what to complain about in the Leicester game is an example of that.

Vardy simply beat Dihno for pace. Had that been Otamendi in Dihno's place everyone would have been whinning about how poor Otamendi was at positioning himself in light of how fast Vardy is. But since it was Dihno, it barely got mentioned.

For the record, Dihno too was generally well positioned. Came near side to play support to Gundogan but got beat in a foot race on a well passed ball.

But overall, I agree he, Gundogan, hasn't been great every game. But overall his been a net positive.

And Yesterday, he was fucking fantastic!

A very good post. Regarding the Leicester goal it was a combination of Vardy's pace and personally I thought Ederson was poor on that goal going down too early which gave Vardy the option of the chip. Going back to the Atalanta game, yes that was a mistake but they did not score from it and it did not cost us the game, we got a decent away point. I can recall several fairly easy chances that were missed in that game by certain players, so as with everything, it is a team game. Liverpool away, a poor clearance by Gundo but again maybe Bravo could have saved that shot and it also came from a shocking mistake by the referee when we should have had a penalty. Again several very good chances were missed in that game. Those two 'examples' of him costing us games are pretty desperate to say the least !

A very good post. Regarding the Leicester goal it was a combination of Vardy's pace and personally I thought Ederson was poor on that goal going down too early which gave Vardy the option of the chip. Going back to the Atalanta game, yes that was a mistake but they did not score from it and it did not cost us the game, we got a decent away point. I can recall several fairly easy chances that were missed in that game by certain players, so as with everything, it is a team game. Liverpool away, a poor clearance by Gundo but again maybe Bravo could have saved that shot and it also came from a shocking mistake by the referee when we should have had a penalty. Again several very good chances were missed in that game. Those two 'examples' of him costing us games are pretty desperate to say the least !

It's opinions isn't it I gave you mine you have yours. But saying it's desperate for me to suggest he cost us those games isn't true. I could quite easily say you blaming others & saying Bravo may have done better is a desperate attempt to say Gundogan didn't cost us. Same thing, there's no desperation it's just opinions.

I actually rewatched the Everton game for my own self analysis, been really interested in this new city shape so needed a 2nd look.

It was very illuminating, I thought Gundogan played well, but on 2nd viewing really focusing on the players and ignoring the result (which I knew, and had no nerves), Gundogan was phenomenal. Actually would say he was probably MOTM even though Jesus scored 2 goals.

His movement and passing under pressure is so good people take it for granted and think it’s easy, it isn’t.

His reading of our players when he is in these deeper positions is better than Kevin imo. His chipped passes over are so accurate as well.

I actually rewatched the Everton game for my own self analysis, been really interested in this new city shape so needed a 2nd look.

It was very illuminating, I thought Gundogan played well, but on 2nd viewing really focusing on the players and ignoring the result (which I knew, and had no nerves), Gundogan was phenomenal. Actually would say he was probably MOTM even though Jesus scored 2 goals.

His movement and passing under pressure is so good people take it for granted and think it’s easy, it isn’t.

His reading of our players when he is in these deeper positions is better than Kevin imo. His chipped passes over are so accurate as well.

Perhaps more people need to watch a game a second time, then they will see how good he is. Same with Gabby, though it might take a third or fourth watch for some to see his movement off the ball.
It does help Gundogan if he has pressers around him. Less exposed. Nevertheless a fine performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.