Ilkay Gundogan - 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still wondering what his role was supposed to be, when I saw the line-up I assumed he'd be supporting our attacks and getting into the box but he just seemed content to sit fairly deep even when we had possession.

The biggest frustration is the amount of times a pass comes into him in midfield and he just plays it straight back to where it came from even when there’s nobody near him. Someone like Foden would know he had space to turn and drive forward with the ball but Gundogan just chooses the safe option 95% of the time.

I like Gundo, he has alot of quality and he's the only player we have who is capable of playing the playmaker role from deep (particularly as a single pivot), I think Simeone drilled it out of Rodri sadly, but his injuries had already taken away his mobility and now he's about to enter his 30's. I get the same feeling about him I did with Otamendi after the 17/18 season. Best sell now whilst you can get a decent fee before the wheels fall off completely.

I would hope the club has already sounded out a swap for Thiago and been rebuffed because it'd almost be criminal not to have tried.

I'm still wondering what his role was supposed to be, when I saw the line-up I assumed he'd be supporting our attacks and getting into the box but he just seemed content to sit fairly deep even when we had possession.

We effectively started that game with 5 CBs.

Playing 3 CBs and having 2 CDMs in front of them, who can’t make a forward pass between them is just criminal. Throw Walker into the mix, playing as an attacking WB, just without the attacking part and it was a recipe for disaster. If it hadn’t of been for Cancelo, we would have barely got in their half in that opening 45 mins.

been saying it for ages...get shouted down all the time but he is a huge problem against top class opposition

No he isn’t. He played in both wins over Madrid. He was completely anonymous tonight and should have been hooked at halftime, but that’s not because he’s incapable of playing against good teams, it’s because he was asked to perform a role he is manifestly ill-suited for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.