#8 | Ilkay Gündoğan - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another calm, authorative performance from a lad on top of his game. Didn't hit the heights of late, but did the simple things that are the hallmarks of his game very well. Every team needs a player like Gundogan, he never really shines or sticks out but he makes the game easier for those around him and he makes them look better players. I can imagine the lads love to have him in the team because he is the ticker, the player who sets the rythym for others to follow,

Thought he was our best midfielder (again) without being flashy. We now have probably the best spine in the PL, Ederson, Dias, Stones, Rodri/Fern, Gundogan, De Bruyne. Come on Kun, get fit!

Might be a tad odd to say, but after five seasons he finally looks like a senior pro in the team and an automatic first choice. For years he always struck me as a little on the periphery with us, whereas for the national team he was the fulcrum. Seems to be very fit at the moment as well and is fairly covering the ground.

I’d like to see his distance covered last night. He wasn’t in the game on the ball as much as he was at Chelsea (although I’m sure someone will pull up some stat that will show he probably had more touches last night, I’m more talking of touches that had influence on attacks) but he seemed to be everywhere... a Bernardo Silva level of everywhere.

Class!

Harsh

A 9 on Sunday and an 8 last night IMO.

He and Stones have clearly got their eye on the most improved player trophy ;-)
Just a bit of a piss take, a few suggested a week or so back he hasn't had an 8/10 game all season. Player of the season so far in my eyes.

Gundogan always had the same ability. The difference now is he has a lot better players on the ball and in defence around him. Last season he had Otamendi and Dinho as the CB's and Mendy and Walker as the fullbacks. They were slow in moving the ball and also gave it away a lot. When the ball move slowly, the opposition have an easier time defending.

The past 2 games in particular, both teams press high and we have good players on the ball from back to front. We can move it quicker and he can find pockets of space in the midfield.

When opponents drop off or only press in their own half, the space is condensed and there isn't as much space for him to operate. So when players like Mendy or Walker gave the ball away he had to defend more which isn't his strength. Now there is Ruben and Stones behind him playing well snuffing counter attacks which helps.

He is a wonderful player: balance, spacial awareness, close control, passing and finishing are all within his skillset. I am pleased that people are recognising what a special talent he is and that he is being given the opportunity to showcase it for the benefit of all the players around him.

Hold my hands up, have been amongst the first to criticise him but he's been fantastic recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.