#8 | Ilkay Gündoğan - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been very, very this season. I'd give him a rest against Birmingham though with three league matches between the 13th-20th after that.

Tbh I think a lot of his previous worse performances were injury related. He has back problems and never seemed to be able to put a run together. He was a great player at dortmund and he never properly fulfilled his promise, but hes 29 and in his prime now. Hes a very intelligent player and should have another five years in him.

Biggest unsung, some might say hated, player on the team. He has been SUPERB during this unbeaten run, mainly because the tactics have freed him up to play further forward.

Our new 2-2-2-2, with 2 wide players playing along the lines, has allowed him to play in that 3rd line, rather than paired as a DM. Instead, we have been bringing a FB (usually Cancelo) inside to play alongside Rodri or Ferna.

Gundo is brilliant playing the 8 role, as opposed to second 6. However, when we collapse back against the attack, his new found fitness/mobility has allowed him to slot back from 8 into dual 6 quite effectively.

Tbh I think a lot of his previous worse performances were injury related. He has back problems and never seemed to be able to put a run together. He was a great player at dortmund and he never properly fulfilled his promise, but hes 29 and in his prime now. Hes a very intelligent player and should have another five years in him.
His best spell of form for us was in the second half of the 2018-19 season. I thought he was superb in that run.

Thought he was absolutely brilliant in that home game against Spurs in the CL. One of the best individual performances I’ve seen live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.