#8 | Ilkay Gündoğan - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not a big Gundogan fan by any means but I see his worth to the squad, you won’t find a better quality of player for the role he’s fulfilled over the last half a decade. He wasn’t spectacular last night by any means but he was the only person who looked to play the football we’ve been known to play over the last few seasons. He’s the closest silva replacement in the squad in terms of controlling games. Almost every bit of good play yesterday had him involved.

He’s also a better Rodri than Rodri. Can’t do the defensive side due to his lack of pace and doesn’t put his foot in enough but rodri doesn’t do that either, he at least is far better in possession and can get us ticking going forward which is a far bigger problem than our defence right now. I think he’s currently our best option as the 6 but a shortness in numbers further up is going to see him utilised further forward more in the coming months

He completed 83.3% of his passes, which, whilst well below the standard he is capable of (he averaged 93.6% in the league last season), is still a long way from giving the ball away constantly.

He did though look like what he is, a player who has been ill and needs to get back to full fitness. So, yes, he was off the pace at times but still managed to play a crucial role in our first two goals. :)

The problem is he needs to be at 100% plus a bunch of other improvements to make up for the weaknesses and complete lack of bottle.

Given the problems he and Plodri give us in that midfield they need to be continually perfect at the things they're supposed to be good at to even remotely justify us kneecapping our side just to include them.

The problem is he needs to be at 100% plus a bunch of other improvements to make up for the weaknesses and complete lack of bottle.

Given the problems he and Plodri give us in that midfield they need to be continually perfect at the things they're supposed to be good at to even remotely justify us kneecapping our side just to include them.
Plodri ha ha gonna use that one. Gundog's goal just papers over the cracks - he's nowhere near the level he was before bad injuries unfortunately and it shows against younger midfielders, he's 30 in a few days, only going to get slower from here on in - my park run times aren't getting quicker with age!

I'm sorry but Gundogan doesn't have that many weaknesses to make up for.

And bottle comes in different forms. He's not a hard man and he could be forgiven for wanting to avoid injury but he didn't bottle anything when he challenged the keeper and set up the situation that led to our penalty. And it takes a certain kind of bottle or balls to put the ball in the net from a free kick in a high pressure situation as he did last night.

I'm sorry but Gundogan doesn't have that many weaknesses to make up for.

And bottle comes in different forms. He's not a hard man and he could be forgiven for wanting to avoid injury but he didn't bottle anything when he challenged the keeper and set up the situation that led to our penalty. And it takes a certain kind of bottle or balls to put the ball in the net from a free kick in a high pressure situation as he did last night.
Well said, the shite that people spout on here about Gundogan being pish is embarrassing at times. Last night, we weren't playing well as a team for 65 minutes and he was getting it big style on the match day thread from the usual suspects, despite the fact he had a big hand in the penalty then pinged one in from 25 yards to dig us out of a lethargy hole.
The fact that Pep rates him so highly and considers him an essential for European games seems to go whoosh above the heads of many of the intelligensia on here.

not only did gundo cause the penalty, score a worldie and very nearly scored a half volley, he also had a hand in the excellent torres goal, for it was gundo that went off for foden ,who then set up torres, see brilliant when hes not even on the pitch :).

Im not his biggest fan but there were far worse performances than him last night - he didnt do too much wrong for me and was excellent at looking forward - something Ive been critical of him in the past for. Rodri on the other hand - comparing him to Javi Garcia is doing a disservice to Garcia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.