#8 | Ilkay Gündoğan - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
You absolutely couldn’t. Rodri is the biggest reason why we are playing so poorly but I’ve already made a lengthy Rodri post so I’ll leave that out of this thread.

Gundogan showed in our last title run in he can perform in the 6 role very admirably, we went on that title winning run with Gundogan at the heart of our side. it will mean less defensive solidity and it’s not the long term answer but we’re not getting that anyway from Rodri so I’d sooner have somebody who’s infinitely better in possession pulling the strings. we’ve now hopefully got a much more solid defence behind him too.
Against average teams who dont press gundogan is ok..but against a decent team he is awful
I agree rodri is also a huge problem....neither are good enough. I had concerns before we even bought rodri

Did you actually watch the game today? Almost all of our positive forward passes came from Gundogan. He flighted at least three great balls into the box that Dias, Mahrez and Cancelo respectively made a mess of
He also gave possession away and backed out of tackles....he didnt make a single tackle today according to the stats ( and rodri only made one)....the issue is them two together. His couple of passes forward werent ecsctly difficult and its still a fact thay most of his passes are sideways and backwards

The less said about tge chance he had to cross from the left and he put it straight into the keeper the better

Gundogan w/ Rodri today

1603558748235.png

v Porto

1603558776916.png

Gundogan w/Dinho in the same fixture 2 & 3 years ago:

1603558826768.png
1603558852542.png

The possession for the pair today was just so concentrated into a small area of pitch, particularly for Gundogan, there's just a distinct lack of coverage and fluidity with the pair of them together. Gundogan had loads of the ball today and we saw very little for it, but it was deeper, less fluid possession and that's probably because the pair of them have to sit deeper because they can't rely on the other to cover (even though between them they're still useless at it) whereas you can see the coverage Dinho brings in previous seasons and the spread of touches, enabling Gundogan to push further forward with more of his play.

given Gundogan essentially took the David Silva role on the left of the 3 today, I thought I'd compare his map to Dave's in the same 2 seasons ago.

Gundogan
1603559199878.png

Dave

1603559226250.png

Dave's willingness to go looking in different areas for space, channels and gaps to exploit made him such a handful and Gundogan static positioning today, probably in a vain attempt to cover for Rodri though it didn't work, really made it easy for West Ham.

I think that's the best Trio. With sitter missing Sterling, the new kid and Aguero up top

Also, Sterling on the right. Time to try new things.
Wonderful,i agree but with Jesus instead of Aguero - adds more movement and a willingness to defend from the front.

Neither did Bernardo, I assume you’ll be posting similar in his thread?

Bernardo had a poor game but West Ham could stifle him out of space and the game knowing he was the only attacking threat and leave Gundogan and Rodri to do fuck all with their 240 odd touches between them. That's the problem when you only player one threatening, top quality player in your midfield, the opposition can mark them out of it and happily give the weaker players all of the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.