#8 | Ilkay Gündoğan - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gundogan is a bang average player who has one good game mixed in with 5-10 ordinary/shit ones, usually when we're downhill skiing against weaker opposition. It's the case now, it was the case last season, it's been the case ever since he joined us.

Those of you trying to hoodwink everyone into thinking he's an excellent player that deserves a starting spot are either in huge denial, or want to see us do badly. One look into any opposition supporter forum tells you that other fans also think he's garbage and wouldn't want him playing on their team. That should say it all - he isn't good enough for this side and never will be, end of.

Another person who thinks he knows better than Pep. Fascinating arrogance.

Last edited:
Our problem isn't gundogan, our problem is David silva imo, we have control without the penetrative balls that David produced, hence struggling to kill teams off
Sorry, this is patently false. Dave was not putting through penetrating balls last year. We are just a poorer with our movement.

Gundogan is a bang average player who has one good game mixed in with 5-10 ordinary/shit ones, usually when we're downhill skiing against weaker opposition. It's the case now, it was the case last season, it's been the case ever since he joined us.

Those of you trying to hoodwink everyone into thinking he's an excellent player that deserves a starting spot are either in huge denial, or want to see us do badly. One look into any opposition supporter forum tells you that other fans also think he's garbage and wouldn't want him playing on their team. That should say it all - he isn't good enough for this side and never will be, end of.
Oh Snap! The Calvary is here :)

Sorry, this is patently false. Dave was not putting through penetrating balls last year. We are just a poorer with our movement.
I think you are right in saying that our movement is not good enough but then I think we miss Dave's pentrating balls of 2 years ago. We miss those kind of balls that unlock teams this year as we did last year.

I am not sure Gundo has it in him to produce those kind of balls so it is unfair to ask him to do what Silva did for us for most of Silva's time here.

And when I refer to Gundo, I'm talking about the City Gundo not the Dortmund one.

I wouldn't argue with Pep about Gundos quality, so certainly won't be arguing with someone more knowledgeable than him. End of!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on a player. Some like Gundogan, some don't and that is ok. What I cannot get my head around, is this insistence across many threads on the site, that if Pep does something, it must be golden.

I love the guy and if he signed on the dotted line to manage us for the next decade I would be delighted. However, I cannot be the only one who has noticed a huge drop in our quality over the past 18 months? This has happened under the stewardship of Pep, he is not infallible. Not all of his decisions and choices are correct.

Gundogan had a great run in the side for the 2nd half of 18/19 playing at 6. For me, he should have been left there, instead the infallible Pep decided to replace him (and Fern) in that position with Rodri. Is anyone really going to suggest that Peps decision to do this has been a rip-roaring success?

Another person who think s he knows better than Pep. Fascinating arrogance.

Another person who thinks every Pep does is perfect because he's infallible.

Must explain why he keeps bombing out of the CL before the semi-finals by outsmarting himself, no matter how much he spends, or why we got belted by 18 points last season courtesy of the Dippers, or why we're currently 13th on the table.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on a player. Some like Gundogan, some don't and that is ok. What I cannot get my head around, is this insistence across many threads on the site, that if Pep does something, it must be golden.

I love the guy and if he signed on the dotted line to manage us for the next decade I would be delighted. However, I cannot be the only one who has noticed a huge drop in our quality over the past 18 months? This has happened under the stewardship of Pep, he is not infallible. Not all of his decisions and choices are correct.

Gundogan had a great run in the side for the 2nd half of 18/19 playing at 6. For me, he should have been left there, instead the infallible Pep decided to replace him (and Fern) in that position with Rodri. Is anyone really going to suggest that Peps decision to do this has been a rip-roaring success?

Sadly, it's a pretty clear case of small-time mentality by those certain fans. Thinking Guardiola is the be all and end all - he's not.

Brilliant manager, but he's got his weaknesses, and his overuse of Gundogan is one of them.

Another person who thinks every Pep does is perfect because he's infallible.

Must explain why he keeps bombing out of the CL before the semi-finals by outsmarting himself, no matter how much he spends, or why we got belted by 18 points last season courtesy of the Dippers, or why we're currently 13th on the table.

I don't think Pep is perfect or a genius or whatever else you would wish to imagine but I'm damn sure he understands football way better than you, whoever you are.

What I do believe is Gundo is a very able football player - technically of a very high order. You and plenty of others may not like how he plays but if he wasn't playing how Pep wants him to, he would not be picked consistently.

I don't agree with everything Pep does - far from it. You only have to read my comments about Garcia to know that.

However, when it comes to Gundogan I have a completely different perspective and trust his judgement.

In my opinion he's a valuable member of the squad due to his intelligence, personality and reciprocal loyalty. He's never going to be KDB or a world beater, but we're talking about a German international who can play our possession-based system to a high level.

Could he do more? Sometimes. But so can the rest of the squad. He's generally consistent and a stable defence will benefit him hugely.

At the end of the day he was fantastic value for money, has played a role in our greatest title wins of all-time and didn't stitch us up by leaving when he could've done. That's the type of player who's earned my respect.

Reactions: OB1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.