#8 | Ilkay Gündoğan - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I quite like Gundo, particularly as a "flat track bully" in the easier games. But last night he was miles off the pace. He gave the ball away constantly which is not like him.

As soon as he went off Porto had to start attacking because they were losing. The team that had been sat back defending all game instantly started pushing up, trying to play football and we were predictably miles better.

You're right it wasn't a coincidence but it's absolutely ridiculous to pretend Gundogan going off was the reason when Porto completely changed their way of playing at the exact same time (thanks to his goal).
Of course Porto had to change their 'tactics' (much of which centred around cheating) but its equally ridiculous to think we would have been able to play such inspiring football with him on the pitch,as he suffocates our play.

Gundogan:
“If I'm being honest we are struggling at the moment. Fernandinho went off at the end, we have players playing in different positions. I am not 100 per cent there because I had Covid, we are not all at the same moment.”

We seem to be lacking in the fitness and conditioning to a number of our squad. Let's hope we can get this aspect sorted without losing too many points in the PL title race.

Gundo is fine, he just shouldn’t be playing alongside Rodri.

The issue is Pep lining them up together as our midfield suffers from a massive lack of energy and dynamism and it’s always glaring.

One or the other, not both and the sooner Pep can finally realise this, the better off we will be this season.

I was just about to post the same. Both very good players (despite the abuse on here) if playing alongside a creative fast player (as Ferdy is). But should never play together!!

I quite like Gundo, particularly as a "flat track bully" in the easier games. But last night he was miles off the pace. He gave the ball away constantly which is not like him.

I agree,but is that level good enough for us? One of the academy kids,like Doyle,can do that.

As for being off the pace,i didn't notice a big difference to his usual energy levels,but in fairness.....Covid may still be draining him.

pEp pIcKs hIm aNd hE pLaYs fOr gErMaNy sO hE mUsT bE gOoD

[/90% of Gundogan fan boy arguments]

He completed 83.3% of his passes, which, whilst well below the standard he is capable of (he averaged 93.6% in the league last season), is still a long way from giving the ball away constantly.

He did though look like what he is, a player who has been ill and needs to get back to full fitness. So, yes, he was off the pace at times but still managed to play a crucial role in our first two goals. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.