#8 | Ilkay Gündoğan - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know he's not loved on here as far as effort is concerned, but I was interested in this year's UEFA CL report to read that of all City's players it was Gundogan that clocked the highest average distance ran per game.

Also came top for ball recoveries and pass total fwiw.

I know he's not loved on here as far as effort is concerned, but I was interested in this year's UEFA CL report to read that of all City's players it was Gundogan that clocked the highest average distance ran per game.

Also came top for ball recoveries and pass total fwiw.
He's a top player. We have a pocket of posters who take every single opportunity to lambast certain players and he is one. I think it's a deep shame that a player of this quality is so unjustly called on here.

I like Gundogan - but he's not a "destroyer." Instead he's a very gifted linking midfielder with the ability to come in from deep and to provide another potent scoring option - but if we need a fast, energetic holding midfielder to rapidly win the ball back when we turn it over and to provide excellent cover for our backfield - Gundogan is not that player at all.

Unfortunately, the only such player we have is nearing retirement age - and it's amazing he's playing for us this year given his age.

He’s a much better player than many give him credit for.

In terms of technical ability, he’s right up there with the best in our squad.

He had a good game tonight. Pretty comfortable for him and Rodri against a poor Marseille side, but they controlled the midfield so that’s to their credit.

Very good again tonight. Looked much better in a more advanced role. Long may it continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.