Ilkay Gundogan - Done Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will get slated for this, however…

I’m not moved by this. I actually think it’s a step backwards. He is a legend however we should be looking forward.

I would be much happier signing another right back and having Rico having minutes in midfield.

Disappointing.
See it as a bit of a stop gap and nothing else. The player or players we want just aren't available and the market isn't moving. He's an extra body in an unprecedented season. Nobody is expecting him to come in and steal the show.

Also, I'm not having Rico in midfield, especially after Sunday. He's a right back. He may be able to move inside from right back but he isn't a midfielder. It's a bit like Alexander-Arnold at Liverpool. All the talk of them being midfielders but you actually get the best out of them from full back because they get that bit more space and time to operate and everything is in front of them.

We ain't no charity and if there was the slightest doubt Gundogan would not contribute we would not be considering bringing him back.
We're not just bringing him back to play though because he'll become a coach and possibly a righthand man to Pep. Gundogan has a good aura about him and commands respect. When he talks players listen because he's intelligent and a likeable guy. I won't be surprised if he goes on to become a top manager.

looking at Germans who have played for us and who the fuck is Dino Toppmöller? Never heard of him. Didn’t play a game but signed in 2001 then left same year?
He didnt have much of a playing career, but he is now manager of Eintracht Frankfurt! And his dad was a good striker in 70s and coach of the (in)famous 2002 'Neverkusen' team.

I love German football but genuinely have no memory of him signing either. Tbf he seemingly signed under Royle as we were about to be relegated in 2001 in a very forgettable campaign. Can't remember much after Christmas at all (to give myself a break I finished uni that year so was a bit busy) except an away win at Leicester with a Wanchope backheel, and the 1-1 at OT where Howey scored and Haaland Sr was taken out.

Last edited:
I agr
I will get slated for this, however…

I’m not moved by this. I actually think it’s a step backwards. He is a legend however we should be looking forward.

I would be much happier signing another right back and having Rico having minutes in midfield.

Disappointing.
I agree….

….you’re going to get slated for this.

He wanted an extra year but we didn't offfer him that. Besides that his mind at the time was up made to leave. I didn't begrudge him wanting a fresh challenge after leaving City on a high when winning the Champions League. Not odd reasoning at all.

Nobody knows who offerd or asked for what. We do however know his mind was made up to leave. Because he told us. Now his mind might seem made up to come back.

Bet be Friday teatime he signs
Sooner than that if everything goes to plan. Would expect him to probably fly in today/tomorrow morning for the medical, contact ect. Has to registered by noon on Friday to be part of the squad for Saturday.

I'm going for tomorrow night it'll be announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.