Ilkay Gundogan - Done Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look not only at his 19 G/A, but at his distance ran, chances created, he tops charts, or is in the top 5 in La Liga, amongst 500+ players.

I don’t know what else to say to convince the nay sayers.

You cannot say anything in all honesty.

He is a German international, started for the club previously, knows Peps system and the players inside out, no adaptation period required, able to cover the Rodri role, we have not managed to fill since he left, and also more advanced positions. This in a season where we may face a record number of games, will cost us nothing and people still find fault with the move.

It is mind boggling but there you go.

Last edited:
See it as a bit of a stop gap and nothing else. The player or players we want just aren't available and the market isn't moving. He's an extra body in an unprecedented season. Nobody is expecting him to come in and steal the show.

Also, I'm not having Rico in midfield, especially after Sunday. He's a right back. He may be able to move inside from right back but he isn't a midfielder. It's a bit like Alexander-Arnold at Liverpool. All the talk of them being midfielders but you actually get the best out of them from full back because they get that bit more space and time to operate and everything is in front of them.

I'd caveat that by saying not available at the price we wanted to pay - Guimaraes had a release clause and could have been available for cheaper than that in June (Newcastle agreed a fee of £75m with Liverpool for Gordon which was purely PSR).

You cannot say anything all honesty.

He is a German international, started for the club previously, knows Peps system and the players inside out, no adaptation period required, able to cover the Rodri role we have not managed to fill since he left and also more advanced positions in a season where we may face a record number of games, will cost us nothing and people still find fault with the move.

It is mind boggling but there you go.

Think I'm in the camp where I am happy enough for Gundo to come back (low risk deal) but also disappointed that we've not taken meaningful steps to address the position for the future. Unless we really believe Nunes can have a breakout season, and there's been no indication we believe that, our 6 options are getting on. By June next year our midfield options for 6 will be Rodri 29, Kovacic 31, Gundogan 34.

Think I'm in the camp where I am happy enough for Gundo to come back (low risk deal) but also disappointed that we've not taken meaningful steps to address the position for the future. Unless we really believe Nunes can have a breakout season, and there's been no indication we believe that, our 6 options are getting on. By June next year our midfield options for 6 will be Rodri 29, Kovacic 31, Gundogan 34.
I think Madrid winning two UCL's and 2 La Liga's and two Club World Cups, and two Supercups with Kroos and Modric at 33-35+ should give you some answers. if we haven't found the players, the board won't move. We haven't found the players yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.