Ilkay Gundogan - Done Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah like I said earlier in the thread, my main reservations would have been him coming into the twilight of his career and a weird feeling I have that players returning to previous clubs don't seem to do as well.

But as a player, and on a short-term contract i.e. 1 or 2 years, he still has it in him to be excellent. He's clearly one of the best midfielders in the world still.

A big part of his game is his intelligent runs though and you wonder if he will be able to make so many as he gets older. But in general he'd obviously be a big addition to your squad.

People just saying he's too old, or too fragile for the PL now are akin to lazy journalists who write factless stories about city. Do your research on facts and stats and you will note (as some posts above have) that Gundo remains an elite player at the top of his game, capable of scoring match winning goals and MOTM performances. How anyone could not want him back is a bit baffling, especially with the fact he would require zero bedding in period in the league or club

People just saying he's too old, or too fragile for the PL now are akin to lazy journalists who write factless stories about city. Do your research on facts and stats and you will note (as some posts above have) that Gundo remains an elite player at the top of his game, capable of scoring match winning goals and MOTM performances. How anyone could not want him back is a bit baffling, especially with the fact he would require zero bedding in period in the league or club
I 99 percent agree with you, but...

I don't think people think he's too old now. I think some people are just worried he has two years or so of elite performances then he will start to decline. I think that is fair enough.

Even Modric - when he got to 36 or 37 he started to be used more sparingly for Real Madrid. There's no shame in it. Gundogan is 34 almost and he will likely be a tremendous player until he's 36 or so. After than then he could be used as a squad player and transition into coaching or whatever.

People are just saying him going back to City makes a lot of sense - but on a short-term contract. They could be wrong and he could maintain this level until he's 38 or 39, but I am just saying that - even with the advances in nutrition and sports-science - father time is undefeated.

Due to advances in science, diabetes is no longer a death sentence.
Due to advances in science, turning 30 in no longer the end for footballers.

Things have changed. Gundo will be in far better shape than 20 somethings were, a decade ago.

Yet, of our great players since the takeover:

Yaya - finished by the time Pep arrived at the age of 33.

David Silva - took a step down to Sociedad at the age of 34.

Aguero - was released at the age of 32 (almost 33) with a dodgy knee.

Kompany - took semi retirement at Anderlecht at the age of 33.

Fernandinho - kept going at a high level until 35 then deteriorated a little at 36. Bucks the trend.

The prevailing theme, however, is for our high level players to come to the end at about 33. Gundo is 34 in October.

Anyway, as a rotational option he could be valuable like Fernandinho was in his final season.

I don't think it is unreasonable to have reservations about this one.

Depends on how far you take it I suppose.
I don't think anyone is seriously expecting him to win us the treble single handedly (not saying you are, by the way). But will he be an improvement in the squad? Undoubtedly. He's not going to play 50 odd games for us this season. But he'll be invaluable (hopefully) in the crunch games in the league and in Europe.

Fernandinho - kept going at a high level until 35 then deteriorated a little at 36. Bucks the trend.

The prevailing theme, however, is for our high level players to come to the end at about 33. Gundo is 34 in October.

Anyway, as a rotational option he could be valuable like Fernandinho was in his final season.

He isn’t going to be a weekly starter. He knows that.

Even if he barely kicks a ball it’s well worth bringing him back purely for the leadership and frankly, vibes.

Even players outside of Man City

Ronaldo - despite what his PR will tell you, he has been in decline since 33. Though he relied much more on pace than Gundogan ever did

Messi - brilliant in a World Cup aged 35 but he is Messi. Even then, he went to MLS aged 36 (even if I feel he could still do well in Europe).

Kroos - could likely still be a top player. But went out on a high aged 34.

Modric - amazing midfielder but clearly not been the same player since about 36, though he still managed to play well in Qatar.

There's more examples too.

Pepe is really the main one who is doing well at aged 41 (a lot older than Gundogan admittedly). And even he had to drop down to a 'non-elite' club and looked dodgy at times in the Euros.

Maybe it is just a thing I have, but when players get to 35 you expect them to decline starkly. It's maybe a mental block of mine.

He isn’t going to be a weekly starter. He knows that.

Even if he barely kicks a ball it’s well worth bringing him back purely for the leadership and frankly, vibes.

That's fine, I'm just addressing the myth that top players continue at a high level well into their 30s these days, which is blatantly untrue (in the most part).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.