Ilkay Gundogan - Done Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Madrid winning two UCL's and 2 La Liga's and two Club World Cups, and two Supercups with Kroos and Modric at 33-35+ should give you some answers. if we haven't found the players, the board won't move. We haven't found the players yet.

I wouldn't use that as an example (I'm sure there are countless examples of older midfields that haven't won leagues, UCLs etc) but I would say that even with Madrid, they looked long-term by signing Camavinga, Tchouameni & Bellingham.

I thought he left way too soon, tbh.
One thing you can't teach is experience and Gundo has it is spades for us. The squad will be invigorated by his return, the mood will lift and as long as we don't place too high an expectation on him, it's nothing but a positive move.

Think I'm in the camp where I am happy enough for Gundo to come back (low risk deal) but also disappointed that we've not taken meaningful steps to address the position for the future. Unless we really believe Nunes can have a breakout season, and there's been no indication we believe that, our 6 options are getting on. By June next year our midfield options for 6 will be Rodri 29, Kovacic 31, Gundogan 34.

But that also highlights why getting Gundogan back is such a great deal.

There are not the players on the market.

When City found a player suitable for the role they were prepared to pay upwards of 90 million for Declan Rice, it is not for a lack of trying. They have also shown interest in Guimares for top money but Newcastle don’t really want to sell.

Liverpool started with Gravenbach and Macallister at weekend. For a couple of years they have tried to sign a holding midfielder, Caicedo, Lavia, Zubimendi and they are in a worse position than ourselves as we have the best holding midfielder in the world.

Players like Caicedo, Lavia, Fernandez, Tchouamanei have gone for an average of about 90 million pounds.

And we’re in a position where we can get a player in on a free, who plays a multitude of roles and people are pulling their faces. It’s the best possible deal imaginable.

Would he be happy to come back and be a squad player?
If memory serves he commented that he didn't feel he could keep pace with the demands of the premier league every week, I see him as playing 25 games and dovetailing with de bruyne as the winter months arrive.

I think the overall theme is that most people would like him to return - but on a short-term deal (understandably given he's almost 34) and also with the proviso that he's not going to play every week and burn himself out.

His experience and intelligence is invaluable, and could rub off on younger players. Plus he can always do something in the biggest of games, and will be important at various points during the season.

Managing him well would actually likely lead to increasing his longevity too.

Anyway, I am a big fan. I think him and Kroos (before retirement) are brilliant German midfielders.

If you look not only at his 19 G/A, but at his distance ran, chances created, he tops charts, or is in the top 5 in La Liga, amongst 500+ players.

I don’t know what else to say to convince the nay sayers.

Yeah. Not sure where this narrative is coming from that he’s got no legs. He was Barca’s best player last season and was driving them forward whenever I saw them.

Not only that, his footballing brain is so brilliant that it’ll help keep his legs going for even longer!

Also, Pep isn’t one for sentiment. If he brings him back, it won’t just be to generate a good feeling around the club!

Fucking staggering that people are finding fault with this potential deal (well it’s Blue Moan so maybe not that staggering).

Others have already posted his stats in La Liga last season, where incidentally he was in the team of the season. He then played for one of the top teams in the Euros - if his legs have gone then how did he play all bar 6 mins of their 3 group games (came off when 5 1 up to the sweaties) and played in their knockout games where he was taken off for tactical reasons. So if his “legs have gone” his managers at club and country level didn’t spot it.

In addition -

He is a cracking intelligent player

He has never relied on pace

Is multi positional

He is fully respected by Pep

He is fully respected by our squad who voted him csptain

He won’t expect to play every minute

He is a game changer

He will cost no transfer fee

He is a player who can dictate our play, keeps the ball moving, spots runs and makes runs

He has started working towards his coaching badges, he did lots of work with our youth teams when at City

He adds depth to a thin squad

I guess apart from all that there is absolutely nothing good about Ilkay coming back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.