Ilkay Gundogan - Done Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fucking staggering that people are finding fault with this potential deal (well it’s Blue Moan so maybe not that staggering).

Others have already posted his stats in La Liga last season, where incidentally he was in the team of the season. He then played for one of the top teams in the Euros - if his legs have gone then how did he play all bar 6 mins of their 3 group games (came off when 5 1 up to the sweaties) and played in their knockout games where he was taken off for tactical reasons. So if his “legs have gone” his managers at club and country level didn’t spot it.

In addition -

He is a cracking intelligent player

He has never relied on pace

Is multi positional

He is fully respected by Pep

He is fully respected by our squad who voted him csptain

He won’t expect to play every minute

He is a game changer

He will cost no transfer fee

He is a player who can dictate our play, keeps the ball moving, spots runs and makes runs

He has started working towards his coaching badges, he did lots of work with our youth teams when at City

He adds depth to a thin squad

I guess apart from all that there is absolutely nothing good about Ilkay coming back
I don't think people think his legs have gone NOW. I certainly don't.

I just think they believe a contract for the next year, or two years (til the World Cup) makes most sense. As players can decline so sharply at his age, and he MIGHT lose his legs by then.

Obviously in 2024 and hopefully until 2026, he still has plenty of energy and loads of technique and intelligence.

I agree with everything else you have written. Just giving a look into why some might have reservations if it's a longer contract.

Fucking staggering that people are finding fault with this potential deal (well it’s Blue Moan so maybe not that staggering).

Others have already posted his stats in La Liga last season, where incidentally he was in the team of the season. He then played for one of the top teams in the Euros - if his legs have gone then how did he play all bar 6 mins of their 3 group games (came off when 5 1 up to the sweaties) and played in their knockout games where he was taken off for tactical reasons. So if his “legs have gone” his managers at club and country level didn’t spot it.

In addition -

Is multi positional

He is a game changer

He is a player who can dictate our play, keeps the ball moving, spots runs and makes runs

He has started working towards his coaching badges, he did lots of work with our youth teams when at City

I guess apart from all that there is absolutely nothing good about Ilkay coming back
Wish I could like this post more than once.

In addition -

Is multi positional

He is a game changer

If he'd never been at City, but had won the PL numerous times recently with a rival and was available because of toxic Barcelona I think some of the doubters here would be more excited by the transfer.

Either that, or they were the ones that vastly underrated him while he was here. In my opinion it's a minimal risk transfer (all transfers carry elements of risk). There won't be a 'will he adopt to playing for Pep' question mark. He was hugely popular and influential in the dressing room, covers several positions, which will give him plenty of game time, as well as rotation.

Sometimes a transfer just makes sense for all parties and this seems like just one of those occasions.

He was one of Barca's best players last season and one of Germany's standout players in the summer.

He's still at the top and will improve our midfield. No question. He's also a club legend and brings his intelligence and ultra professionalism with him.

My only hesitation is the impact on McAtee who I want to see get decent minutes. Hopefully it won't restrict that and Pep can rotate where necessary.

Yet, of our great players since the takeover:

Yaya - finished by the time Pep arrived at the age of 33.

David Silva - took a step down to Sociedad at the age of 34.

Aguero - was released at the age of 32 (almost 33) with a dodgy knee.

Kompany - took semi retirement at Anderlecht at the age of 33.

Fernandinho - kept going at a high level until 35 then deteriorated a little at 36. Bucks the trend.

The prevailing theme, however, is for our high level players to come to the end at about 33. Gundo is 34 in October.

Anyway, as a rotational option he could be valuable like Fernandinho was in his final season.
KDB is also 33 and look what he still does for the team.

It would be good to see him back playing for City, if he returns.

He definitely adds a lot to the squad, in terms of quality, experience, energy, and football IQ.

The only thing supposedly delaying it (according to Romano) is Gundogan saying yes. But given the multiple stories about he being the one to call Pep to ask to come home, I’d say it’s pretty much sorted.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t announce it yesterday because we knew Foden was winning his award and didn’t want any distraction from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.