Ilkay Gundogan - Done Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be shrewd signing but his age is an issue coming back to the Premier League. Can't completely ignore that factor.
He's got a footballing brain & years of PL & CL experience which money can't buy.

Gundog's got the skill, nous & guile. Those around him have got all the legs we need.

I don't see how this doesn't affect Foden and his playing on the wing far more than he wants. If he finds himself on the wing this season, he has every right to be pissed.

Can you imagine Pep putting a player who was bought for 100M and had just won Player of the Year the season in his preferred position back in a position that he doesn't want to play and is clearly worse at? I can't.
Foden only played centrally 15 times last season (out of 51 games), and only 5 times (out of 28 games) after de Bruyne came back in January.

He mostly on the right (23 appearances) but also seen often on the left (12 appearances) with one up front.

Genuinely happy Gundo is coming back, so not complaining in the slightest, but…

What was our actual plan for midfield reinforcement going into this season, given Gundo leaving Barca is just a chance event that we’re lucky to be able to pounce on.

You’d think they’d have been planning throughout last season for the best way to solve the Rodri dependency issue and this clearly isn’t that plan.

Bit of a get out of jail free card.
Which is a reasonable assessment unless, of course, we have in fact been planning a new midfield signing for some time already. The Gundo option might be further insurance in the event that a signing currently being worked on falls through.

What's Vimpto?

giphy.gif

I just can't get excited over this transfer but Welcome home Ilkay.
I was willing to excuse not signing an a attacking midfielder last summer because Paqueta really screwed us. I really thought we got a bit unlucky.
This is now the second summer in the row we have failed to do it and on top of it we seem to be digging through our back catalog United style. There is reason to be concerned about our player acquisition strategy.

I mean the club thought Ilkay was only worth a one year contract before the 2023-2024 season so why would he all of a sudden be sufficient now? Basically it appears we whiffed and now are grab bagging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.