Ilkay Gundogan - Done Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how this doesn't affect Foden and his playing on the wing far more than he wants. If he finds himself on the wing this season, he has every right to be pissed.

Can you imagine Pep putting a player who was bought for 100M and had just won Player of the Year the season in his preferred position back in a position that he doesn't want to play and is clearly worse at? I can't.

I can definitely imagine Pep doing that. He played Bernardo Silva left back.

He played in attacking midfield once that season. It was as a 65th minute substitute in the FA Cup semifinal against Chelsea. A game in which Jesus played up front.

The rest of that season he almost solely played in central midfield.

He’s never played as a false 9 for us.
I can remember Ilkay as a false nine on many occasions.

Which is a reasonable assessment unless, of course, we have in fact been planning a new midfield signing for some time already. The Gundo option might be further insurance in the event that a signing currently being worked on falls through.
Possibly a short-term solution until someone like Wirtz is available next summer?

Foden only played centrally 15 times last season (out of 51 games), and only 5 times (out of 28 games) after de Bruyne came back in January.

He mostly on the right (23 appearances) but also seen often on the left (12 appearances) with one up front.
I assume those are from Transfermarkt, which is notoriously poor for things like that.

23/24 vs 22/23
His heatmaps make things obvious.

Attachments

• IMG_2078.jpg
    IMG_2078.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2079.jpg
    IMG_2079.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 15
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.