Illegal streaming company in UK makes £5m but get 17yrs jail

Fraud related sentences should only be chunky when the vulnerable have been targeted and preyed upon. In those circumstances, the current sentencing powers are inadequate imo.

As far as I’m aware, this offending displayed none of those characteristics and therefore these sentences are excessive.
I have to declare here I have a mobile dish that gets me TV from all over Europe but I also pay for Sky and BT,it’s probably not a defence. I have no problem these guys doing what they did but if caught profiteering on a relatively large scale they have to hold their hands up, 3 years to serve for a 1.7m share, not too bad but I think HMRC are now playing a very active role in recovering revenue. More criminals are being investigated and prosecuted through the lifestyles they lead without the revenue to back it up rather than being prosecuted for their crimes. Barristers, Alibis and a weak judiciary often result in an innocent verdict. What they can’t do is defend where their money is coming from.

I have to declare here I have a mobile dish that gets me TV from all over Europe but I also pay for Sky and BT,it’s probably not a defence. I have no problem these guys doing what they did but if caught profiteering on a relatively large scale they have to hold their hands up, 3 years to serve for a 1.7m share, not too bad but I think HMRC are now playing a very active role in recovering revenue. More criminals are being investigated and prosecuted through the lifestyles they lead without the revenue to back it up rather than being prosecuted for their crimes. Barristers, Alibis and a weak judiciary often result in an innocent verdict. What they can’t do is defend where their money is coming from.
What do you mean by weak judiciary?

You’re wrong tbf. Fraud committed on the vulnerable has a huge impact on sentence - for example, someone defrauding the revenue or a large corporation would (ceteris paribus) get less than someone defrauding an elderly person for the same sum of money - it just isn’t enough of a difference as far as I’m concerned.

Some people are inherently malign and almost certainly incapable of redemption imo. People who target the weak and vulnerable (of which Sky are neither) fall into that category and need removing from society for sustained periods following such offending, as their behaviour is highly anti-social, predatory and sociopathic - and they deserve being severely punished for that.

These guys from Cov fall well short of that.

I also expect them to get absolutely hammered in the subsequent the POCA proceedings, so this isn’t over for them and will (in all probability) compound their punishment.
I bow to your more accurate knowledge as the public only generally get to hear about excessive or pathetically short sentences.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.