Imagine Pep's team at Maine Road!

my first ever game that Charlton 85 game, don’t remember much but it’s a nice one to say was my first :)
I can remember the notts county away match before Charlton..but have no recollection of Charlton whatsoever ....same day as the Bradford Fire Disaster ...
Have heard the incredible noise at the Charlton match quite a few times since on u tube...as soon as you press ' play.'.the noise from a packed Maine rd really makes you think how football has changed ..

the club totally fucked up the move from maine road and the atmosphere never recovered

I was Kippax AA lower, right at the back and we had the crack with a set of lads in there that never stopped singing.

Brilliant atmosphere.

Got to the Etihad and we where second tier, right in the corner and not a face around us we recognised.

Shite atmosphere, sterile.

Finally got into 116 SS lower and it was no better as most matches was you dodging fucking showsec who seemingly felt it their duty to throw fans out for fuck all.

I honestly do not miss going.

my first ever game that Charlton 85 game, don’t remember much but it’s a nice one to say was my first :)
one of the best party atmospheres Iv ever experienced that day ,the one and only time I went onto the pitch at MR,i remember someone had a trombone or trumpet at the back of the kippax .packed to the rafters,i was 20 ,great days

Strange thing is that when I stood on the old Kippax terrace there was a guy of a similar age who stood about 5 yards to my right who now sits about 5 yards to my right in EL3 ! We also both drink pre-match in the Bradford and in the same boozer when we're at Wembley. We always say hello & have a bit of craic but don't know each others names. That's the legacy of the Kippax, I suppose. Must be plenty more like us.

Ah great days, drink a bottle of cider then lob it at the away fans haha I actually saw that, bovril fags and booze is all you could smell, a bit of piss as well if I'm honest , kippax at the top next to the away fans, looking out for the copper on his platform, as soon as he looked the other way lob a coin, the surge of the crowd, loved the kippax, a proper place to watch football, happy days

Strange thing is that when I stood on the old Kippax terrace there was a guy of a similar age who stood about 5 yards to my right who now sits about 5 yards to my right in EL3 ! We also both drink pre-match in the Bradford and in the same boozer when we're at Wembley. We always say hello & have a bit of craic but don't know each others names. That's the legacy of the Kippax, I suppose. Must be plenty more like us.
Definitely.

I was one of the last fans to leave the Kippax after the final game ..stayed an hour after the final whistle ..id loved every minute of my time there..even the sit down anti Swales protest... .for those who say it wasnt always noisy...well we know that ...but that's not really the point..the banter wise -cracks and feeling of togetherness even during flat games was not one that could be measured in decibels or,imo be replicated in the seats .

We all had our spot on the terrace.

Mine was half way line,half way down..nearest PlattLane ..to the right of the stand as you look at it from the pitch...Sometimes,after too much ale you got it wrong...and you d spot your mates 20/30 yards down in front of you ...you would simply make your way down the terrace politely pushing past others remenbeing to duck under the barriers..you'd greet your mates ..and others around you who you didn't necessarily know ..but would let on to you.that's how it was.Im proud to say i was part of this incredibly important part of our history..the experiences good and bad have helped shape the person I am today and I've met quite a few good friends thru standing on our great old terrace .I will never, ever forget the welcome I always got ,as an out of town fan..a real sense of togetherness and the experiences good and bad will stay with me forever.

Highlights for me we're the 5-1.. the 2-1 win over Liverpool under Kendall ;midweek match under floodlights; White scored twice ..and my first ever Boxing day match (cracking atmosphere ) against Leeds in 87..we lost 1-2,White scored..and the Banter between the away fans in a jam packed Platt Lane to our left was high.

Never quite the same afer the stand was demolished.As I said in my OP I'm sure Pep and the team would have appreciated a vocal full throttle Kippax in times when that extra edge is required.
This is a good thread. And this, couldn't put it better myself,so I won't! Suffice to say had some great times on the Kippax....

Good days and bad at Maine Road.
Remember literally not being able to get on the Kippax as it was so chokka but also stood as pretty much the only one in that open bit between the Kippax and Platt Lane listening to piped crowd noise coming out of the crappy speakers.

I never shared the love of the Kippax. I did watch there for a season or two in the mid-1969s because my mates went there. The sight lines were bloody awful and despite being 5 foot 11 inches, I found it difficult to see what was happening. The toilets were beyond belief.

I much preferred the Scoreboard End and subsequently the North Stand.

I never shared the love of the Kippax. I did watch there for a season or two in the mid-1969s because my mates went there. The sight lines were bloody awful and despite being 5 foot 11 inches, I found it difficult to see what was happening. The toilets were beyond belief.

I much preferred the Scoreboard End and subsequently the North Stand.
Because they had better toilets?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.