How much have Thatcher/Reagan contributed to the state of the world today?

Thatcher was one of our greatest prime ministers.

Had vision, backbone and clarity of thought. She reinvigorated the country’s entrepreneurial spirit, freed the economy from its 1970s stupor and boosted social mobility in turn. How we could do with her now.
Example A M'Lud.

A selfish ****.

Both before my time so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

But income inequality and the power of the middle class have shifted dramatically since Reagan, at least in the US

Maybe some of these impacts were unintended and things spiraled, but Reaganomics has had some extremely detrimental consequences - check the trends from when he became president and after, I think they say it all: https://www.epi.org/publication/charting-wage-stagnation/

Mrs Vienna hates to hear that anyone has died, but she rang me to tell me the news, and I could hear the delight in her voice.

She absolutely hated the Grantham granny with a passion.
We had a bottle of decent champaign in the fridge waiting for the day she carked, and it was opened when she did, as did many others.

the evil hag is the only person I know who was either loved or depised with a passion

Thatcher was one of our greatest prime ministers.

Had vision, backbone and clarity of thought. She reinvigorated the country’s entrepreneurial spirit, freed the economy from its 1970s stupor and boosted social mobility in turn. How we could do with her now.
Thatcher did not boost social mobility. In fact, it has been on the decline since her premiership. It has been especially precipitous in the North, sadly.

Both before my time so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

But income inequality and the power of the middle class have shifted dramatically since Reagan, at least in the US

Maybe some of these impacts were unintended and things spiraled, but Reaganomics has had some extremely detrimental consequences - check the trends from when he became president and after, I think they say it all: https://www.epi.org/publication/charting-wage-stagnation/
One of the most damning charts that illustrates at least a portion of the detrimental impacts of Reagan’s economic policies and philosophy (again, I mean the full ideological apparatus around his rise and reign more then the man himself) that became so pervasive around the world in the following decades—and which ignores individual harm and goes straight to a place conservative economists and politicians claim to care about—is this one:

Notice anything interesting before and after 1980?

US-annualized-GDP-growth-by-quarter-since-1947.jpeg

The word that immediately came to mind was neoliberalism. They certainly weren't the brains behind it and there was an inevitably about the direction of travel away from the postwar consensus regardless of who was in charge.

In many ways they are bit part players who just happened to take power at a certain point in history. But the ideology was fully embraced on their watch and is their ultimate legacy.

After Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan took power, the rest of the package soon followed: massive tax cuts for the rich, the crushing of trade unions, deregulation, privatisation, outsourcing and competition in public services. Through the IMF, the World Bank, the Maastricht treaty and the World Trade Organisation, neoliberal policies were imposed – often without democratic consent – on much of the world. Most remarkable was its adoption among parties that once belonged to the left: Labour and the Democrats, for example. As Stedman Jones notes, “it is hard to think of another utopia to have been as fully realised.”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.