Inception (the film)

and after reading everyone's opinions regarding the plot, I'm still confused.

I thought about the ending for two minutes and my exact thought was "Why did I bother"

I thought it was a great film. I think people misunderstand the ending.

The way I always interpreted is that the director doesn't want you to speculate over Di Caprio's reality, but question your own. He's basically implying that you can never know yourself whether you're existing in a dream world or not.

Whether Di Caprio is dreaming is of little importance as he clearly believes at the end of the film that he isn't, so to him that's his reality.

People speculating over the totem wobbling and things like that are, to me at least, missing the point.

Overall, I think it's far better than most of the tripe that comes out of Hollywood these days. I'd happily watch it again.

The Pink Panther said:
and after reading everyone's opinions regarding the plot, I'm still confused.

I thought about the ending for two minutes and my exact thought was "Why did I bother"

I'm with you entirely on this - despite being blue.

SkyBlueFlux said:
I thought it was a great film. I think people misunderstand the ending.

The way I always interpreted is that the director doesn't want you to speculate over Di Caprio's reality, but question your own. He's basically implying that you can never know yourself whether you're existing in a dream world or not.

Whether Di Caprio is dreaming is of little importance as he clearly believes at the end of the film that he isn't, so to him that's his reality.

People speculating over the totem wobbling and things like that are, to me at least, missing the point.

Overall, I think it's far better than most of the tripe that comes out of Hollywood these days. I'd happily watch it again.

spot on . the whole point of the ending, is that he doesn't care anymore. the importance of reality to him is shown throughout the film ( the scene in the hotel with the totem and him ready to shoot himself). in an interview with nolan, he said that it doesn't matter whether he's in reality or not. because he's happy to accept being with his kids in any world, and that being with them was reality enough for him. on second watch, i'm pretty sure he is back in the real world though. the only way it wouldn't have been, was that the whole thing would have been a dream

I love this film.
The only bit that screws me is the fight in the hotel room but when Cobb goes to the window, his missus is on the opposite side?

Pride_In_Battle said:
The bit that I never understood: If Michael Caine can move between France and the USA freely, why didn't he just take Cobb's kids to Paris so he could see them there?

Because that would undermine the whole plot of him needing to do this "last job" to get home to see his kids ;)

Brilliant film.

The Pink Panther said:
Do you think the writer and director set out deliberately to confuse their audience who arrive at a conclusion, after watching the film, that they have wasted a couple of hours of their life?

I thought it was slickly produced, but the plot wasn't everything it's been cracked up to be, and as usual, plenty of violence just for the sake of violence. I almost fell asleep in the theatre waiting for it to end (some girl took me to the opening midnight premiere here) and was bored out of my skull come 1:30 am.

andy h said:
I love this film.
The only bit that screws me is the fight in the hotel room but when Cobb goes to the window, his missus is on the opposite side?

maybe he'd altered his memory to make it seem like she'd trashed the place and somehow gone to the other side, lured him out, then jumped, as opposed to them having a fight and her storming off and jumping, to make him feel less guilty about it?<br /><br />-- Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:47 am --<br /><br />
Rushton121 said:
Pride_In_Battle said:
The bit that I never understood: If Michael Caine can move between France and the USA freely, why didn't he just take Cobb's kids to Paris so he could see them there?

Because that would undermine the whole plot of him needing to do this "last job" to get home to see his kids ;)

Brilliant film.

maybe there was an order against Cobb seeing his kids or whatever, or maybe Caine didn't want to stir Cobb's emotions in some way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.