Independent article today

bluemoon1078 said:
Superhands said:
like Ferguson handled McGrath (PFA player of the year after he left), Strachan (won title with Leeds at expense of Utd) and Keane ?

all of those situations may have been unavoidable - it may not have been possible for Fergsuon to resolve them

like Mourinho and Robben - what went wrong there ? just because a manager gets pissed off with one player doesn't mean he's a bad manager

my point is sometimes there is nothing a manager can do, lets not judge Hughes yet

You're absolutely right! i remember baconface years ago saying "you'll never change their minds, if they are not on board then ship them out" now as much as i hate the T**T it seems to have worked for him.

Quite right you should only judge a manger on results,,,,,,err ummmmm oh dear...

Basically we have had a mediocre Premiership squad for 4 years with a 6 month window of competence just after Sven took over.

Mark Hughes has only had two months to bring in a few players and those months were disrupted owing to the Shinawatra/ ADUG takeover.

January will be the first chance that Hughes has had to put his own stamp on the squad who will buy into his philosophy of fitness and lifestyle, we will then be able to judge the results in 4-6 months time.

I'm afraid he has had a very poor foundation to work with. It seems to me that the Sven era was disastrous in terms of the troublemakers he brought in, and the disruption they were allowed to cause. We are only just starting to see what a mess it all is.

ADUG and Cooke obviously support Hughes. I believe they would have sacked him yesterday if they thought he was doing a bad job. I think some people have been fooled by the good start to last season and qualifying for the UEFA Cup that everything in the garden was rosey and we could get by with a bit of judicious pruning.

rastus said:
bluemoon1078 said:
You're absolutely right! i remember baconface years ago saying "you'll never change their minds, if they are not on board then ship them out" now as much as i hate the T**T it seems to have worked for him.

Quite right you should only judge a manger on results,,,,,,err ummmmm oh dear...

Oh dear indeed! it took taggart 5 years to sort out the shite from previous regimes, not 3 f**king months!

Do people forget that Elano selflessly sacrificed his own game to TWICE play at right-back for Sven?

Can't see him doing it for Hughes. And that's a bigger reflection on Hughes than Elano, tbh.

I am not claiming to be pro or anti Mark Hughes; whether he will get sufficient time will depend on results. But with regards to Mr Elano.........

The boy has talent, that is obvious; we have all seen it, albeit not too often of late. That he is more skilful than Vassell is also not in question. What we don't seem to be able to find is a place for him in the formation we play, just like Sven in the end.

I haven't a clue what goes on behind closed doors and the reported in-fighting within the camp at the moment, as I'm not there to witness it. But there's one thing even Lenny Peters could see, and it's getting on my moobs at the moment, and that is his lack of effort.

I expect more, Hughes expects more, and hand on heart even the most ardent Elano fan expects more. Would he be able to get away with his lackadaisical performances at any of the so-called Big Four? Not on your life, which is why this is as good as it's going to get for him, at least in England, until he changes his attitude, pulls his socks up and starts trying a little more.

What a waste of a great talent.

I wonder if Ferguson demands that Berbatov do as much running as Rooney.

Does he threaten to drop him in favour of a much harder worker in Tevez if he doesn't?

Or does he realise all players have their own strengths, and their own weaknesses and their own personalities. And then adapts his management style to get the best out of every one.

And when he does decide to rid, does he get rid, or does he make a big fuss in the press denigrating the players performances, attitude and professionalism a week before he is able to move the player on quietly and without fuss.

not my hero just stating the obvious . The coach of shakter donesk informed the club elano is a mard arse when not playing . Its in the player before hughes so how can he bend over backwards for one player . Hes paid to do what the manager wants if he doesnt do that then he can go as hes a bad influence on squad

moomba said:
I wonder if Ferguson demands that Berbatov do as much running as Rooney.

Does he threaten to drop him in favour of a much harder worker in Tevez if he doesn't?

Or does he realise all players have their own strengths, and their own weaknesses and their own personalities. And then adapts his management style to get the best out of every one.

And when he does decide to rid, does he get rid, or does he make a big fuss in the press denigrating the players performances, attitude and professionalism a week before he is able to move the player on quietly and without fuss.

As i recall Ferguson put Berbatov on a fitness program as soon as he signed. I think Hughes realises that players have different strengths, but whatever those strengths are you have to work to capcity. You cannot use the argument that it ain't my strong point and then not be arsed.

bluemoon1078 said:
As i recall Ferguson put Berbatov on a fitness program as soon as he signed. I think Hughes realises that players have different strengths, but whatever those strengths are you have to work to capcity. You cannot use the argument that it ain't my strong point and then not be arsed.

It's not about fitness with Berbatov, it's about attitude and mentality.

Ferguson recognises that Berbatov can still make a contribution to the side despite not being a 100% up and at 'em type player. Van Horse wasn't the hardest runner in the world but he still contributed (greatly) to their team.

"One size fits all" approach to management does not work. Footballers aren't robots, they all have their own personalities and their own flaws.

So I'll take a 90% player that can perform over a 100% player that can't any day. When we're faced with the choice of a 90% player that can perform and a 100% player that can perform the 90%er will inevitably fall by the wayside. But we don't have that luxury yet.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.