Injury Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep Guardiola has said that Nathan Ake and Ruben Dias were both taken off at half-time vs Peterborough for 'medical' reasons. Ake took a knock, and Dias 'was not feeling good in his leg'. [via
@spbajko

Pep Guardiola has said that Nathan Ake and Ruben Dias were both taken off at half-time vs Peterborough for 'medical' reasons. Ake took a knock, and Dias 'was not feeling good in his leg'. [via
@spbajko
Dias didn't look like he could run fast at all from the start - the commentators were waxing lyrical about Peterborough getting joy down their centre left.

It stopped after our substitutes.

Both Ake and Dias looked dreadful in the first half at Peterborough it's a relief to hear such poor form was injury related as third rate players were going past them for fun.

It's a stress injury from overuse. Damage to the soft tissue along the shinbone. If you keep putting pressure on it the damage gets worse (and recovery time increases). Worst case scenario is that with the muscles out of action the bone has more work to do and you end up with a stress fracture.

Likelihood of stress injuries to the shin can be avoided by proper warm-ups and making sure your gait is right when you run. But some people's physiology is just more susceptible to them, for example if they have flat feet.

Jack's a professional athlete and doesn't noticeably run weirdly so I expect he and the club (and Villa before us) are already taking all the necessary precautions, but given he's had this type of injury a few times it looks like he's got a natural tendency towards it.

The pain can be pushed through (I think I recall him saying he did this for several weeks when it happened last year) but you do run the risk of having to take longer out to recover because you've caused more damage.
I had shin splint issues for over two years in my late teens. I played a lot of basketball and Aussie Rules

In my early 20s I was at a podiatrists who said I had really flat feet and I started wearing orthotics. Not sure if I had worn orthotics earlier to straighten up the alignment if I would have had such bad shin splints. But it’s not a minor issue.

They can be exceptionally sore and every stride can be very painful. When you have shin splints and they are flared up (there are time when you can play through it but it can be excruciating at others) you’re never at 100% because you’re in pain. I wonder the wisdom in forking out 100m if this is what Jack had/has. That should have been picked up in the medical and accounted for in the price because when they are really sore you can’t walk without discomfort let alone run around a football pitch.

I had shin splint issues for over two years in my late teens. I played a lot of basketball and Aussie Rules

In my early 20s I was at a podiatrists who said I had really flat feet and I started wearing orthotics. Not sure if I had worn orthotics earlier to straighten up the alignment if I would have had such bad shin splints. But it’s not a minor issue.

They can be exceptionally sore and every stride can be very painful. When you have shin splints and they are flared up (there are time when you can play through it but it can be excruciating at others) you’re never at 100% because you’re in pain. I wonder the wisdom in forking out 100m if this is what Jack had/has. That should have been picked up in the medical and accounted for in the price because when they are really sore you can’t walk without discomfort let alone run around a football pitch.
As far as I'm aware no-one's ever confirmed it's shin splints, they just talk about "stress injury" and "shin overload", I'm not a doctor but as far as I'm aware it's the same sort of thing but different levels of severity, so if it's not shin splints it is at least shin splint adjacent.

He was out with it for a couple of months last season, and I think I remember Southgate during the Euros saying he was still having to follow a modified training plan because of it.

So it shouldn't be a case of us finding it in his medical, as the broad strokes of it are a matter of public record.

It's happened enough times now for us to comfortably say he has a tendency towards this type of injury. Presumably the club has confidence in the ability of its medical and coaching staff to reduce the risk of lengthy injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.