Insignificant, 'why?', questions to very random things.

Pigeonho

In the King's Head, waiting for the Queen's legs t
Was sat here last night watching the Hangover. The kitten was asleep on my mrs' knee and when the tiger scene came on I thought, 'why is that called a kitten, yet a baby tiger is called a cub?'. Is a kitten to much of a pussy-ish name for a baby big-cat? In my honest, but somewhat random opinion, all baby cats should be called kittens.

Does anyone else look at random things like that and wonder, 'why?'

BimboBob said:
I always wonder why things are named as they are.

Why are they called birds? Why are women called birds as well? Why is it a cup of tea? Who named all these things?
I've often nearly created a thread on this. Who looked at a banana and thought, i'll call that fucker a banana. Why isn't an orange a banana? If it was the dutch team would be known as the bananas. Who the fuck decided on this?!!!

My 4 year old has just moved into the "why" phase.

I tell you what, that makes you think about the world. She's had me flapping like mad at time.

"Dad, why is the sky blue?"
"Why do we have cars?"
"Why do we walk?"
"Why do you have a name?"
"Why does the moon shine?"
"Why are you called Daddy?"

Sometimes you have to fall back on the old "We just do, darling".

Pigeonho said:
BimboBob said:
I always wonder why things are named as they are.

Why are they called birds? Why are women called birds as well? Why is it a cup of tea? Who named all these things?
I've often nearly created a thread on this. Who looked at a banana and thought, i'll call that fucker a banana. Why isn't an orange a banana? If it was the dutch team would be known as the bananas. Who the fuck decided on this?!!!

Why isn't a lemon, or banana, called a yellow if an orange is an orange!!

speccybob 8 said:
Pigeonho said:

Why isn't a lemon, or banana, called a yellow if an orange is an orange!!

The colour orange was named after the fruit.

Try Etymology.com.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.