Instant Success

DontLookBackInAnger

A lot of comments on the board over the last day or two have made the point that the reason city as a club are unsuccessful is because we want instant success. I disagree in fact we draw 40k plus most games, hell, we are getting close to a 1,000 fans for every year without success. What people want is a manager that shows signs of moving the club forward, both short term and long term. Last season SGE was showing signs of that and MOST fans thought he should have got another year. I was in the camp that really didn't want Hughes(nothing to do with his playing career), but he made me reconsider early on. However, since the PSG game at home something has changed, that is very worrying. Take the 1st and 3rd goals last night as they where really telling, both where caused by lack of preparation and/or application. As a city fan you learn pretty quickly that there are days when we simply play crap and get beat, that I can take, but more and more we are losing because the club seems woefully unprepared for the questions other teams are asking. Football is often a very simple game and teams are asking basic questions of us, and more and more we have no answers. Please don't take this as an anti-Hughes post, frankly I'm ambivalent to whether he stays or goes, I just want the coaching staff to get their act together and prepare the club to the job at hand. Do I want instant success, no, but what I do want is a team that looks like it didn't just meet in the car park 15mins before the game.

I know mate. That 3rd goal was the most baffling of all for me. Ball nailed into the back post, half our team jogging out, 3 of the players go unnoticed at the back post. Anyone of 3 could of stuck that in before our defense reacted.

My girlfriend, who hates football and understands very little about the game, looked up from her magazine, took one look at the tv and asked me why non of our players were in shot chasing the three. If she can ask the question, then why the fuck is Hughes not? Surely this is common sense?

I recently retracted my feelings towards Hughes and will continue to focus and support the team, but that was appalling.

Also. the decision to play an unfit Robinho in a match that meant very little, ahead of the 3 most important games of our season, and possibly Hughes most important of his career, why did he make that decision? Its not just shooting yourself in the foot. Its taking a fucking hacksaw to it.

svennis pennis said:
I know mate. That 3rd goal was the most baffling of all for me. Ball nailed into the back post, half our team jogging out, 3 of the players go unnoticed at the back post. Anyone of 3 could of stuck that in before our defense reacted.

My girlfriend, who hates football and understands very little about the game, looked up from her magazine, took one look at the tv and asked me why non of our players were in shot chasing the three. If she can ask the question, then why the fuck is Hughes not? Surely this is common sense?

I recently retracted my feelings towards Hughes and will continue to focus and support the team, but that was appalling.

Also. the decision to play an unfit Robinho in a match that meant very little, ahead of the 3 most important games of our season, and possibly Hughes most important of his career, why did he make that decision? Its not just shooting yourself in the foot. Its taking a fucking hacksaw to it.

Me too mate.
But f*ck he is testing my patience!

svennis pennis said:

Also. the decision to play an unfit Robinho in a match that meant very little, ahead of the 3 most important games of our season, and possibly Hughes most important of his career, why did he make that decision? Its not just shooting yourself in the foot. Its taking a fucking hacksaw to it.[/
quote]

If Robinho was thought unfit he wouldn't have played. Neither player nor Hughes would take the risk. If he'd scored and lasted 90 mins you wouldn't be saying that, obviously. I was pleased to see his name on the team sheet because I thought we at least had a chance of scoring. Didn't work out that way unfortunately, but that's the luxury of hindsight.

Also don't agree with you that the game meant very little. Hughes had to put out a team that he thought was capable of winning the game and secure top spot in the group. As it turned out, we could afford to get whacked and still achieve the same result, and we have now been rewarded with 2 potentially very winnable UEFA fixtures and the prize of a QF place. Again, the luxury of hindsight.

Corrent, the way people go on about knee jerk reactions and hysteria is bollocks. The fact is those of us that are worried are worried about the future, not the now.

allblackcitizen said:
svennis pennis said:

quote]

If Robinho was thought unfit he wouldn't have played. Neither player nor Hughes would take the risk. If he'd scored and lasted 90 mins you wouldn't be saying that, obviously. I was pleased to see his name on the team sheet because I thought we at least had a chance of scoring. Didn't work out that way unfortunately, but that's the luxury of hindsight.

Also don't agree with you that the game meant very little. Hughes had to put out a team that he thought was capable of winning the game and secure top spot in the group. As it turned out, we could afford to get whacked and still achieve the same result, and we have now been rewarded with 2 potentially very winnable UEFA fixtures and the prize of a QF place. Again, the luxury of hindsight.

Manager Mark Hughes said: “Robinho was not able to continue so he is a big doubt for the weekend. It it his ankle again.

“We are staying here overnight so we will check everyone in the morning.

“He has made a great impression on everyone in Manchester, scoring eight goals in the Premier League. We are delighted with his impact.

“In the last three games he has been struggling with an injury and that was a concern to him tonight. We are pleased with what he has produced. ”

So then, Robinho was thought unfit. He was concerned about his injury. So now explain to me why risk him?

svennis pennis said:
allblackcitizen said:
quote]

Manager Mark Hughes said: “Robinho was not able to continue so he is a big doubt for the weekend. It it his ankle again.

“We are staying here overnight so we will check everyone in the morning.

“He has made a great impression on everyone in Manchester, scoring eight goals in the Premier League. We are delighted with his impact.

“In the last three games he has been struggling with an injury and that was a concern to him tonight. We are pleased with what he has produced. ”

So then, Robinho was thought unfit. He was concerned about his injury. So now explain to me why risk him?

Because he wanted the best chance of scoring a goal and winning the game.

Look neither of us know the exact nature of the injury.

I just think you're being melodramatic, painting a picture of Hughes deliberately and callously risking the health of a player paid £160k p/w to, guess what, play a game of football.

allblackcitizen said:

I just think you're being melodramatic, painting a picture of Hughes deliberately and callously risking the health of a player paid £160k p/w to, guess what, play a game of football.

What are you on about?

I am asking the question of why risk him if he was concerned about an injury. It is, I think a fair question. I am in no way accusing of Hughes trying to risk the health of a football player FFS. It was a risk, and one that ultimately pointless in hindsight as you put it. But without the benefit of hindsight, the concern was already there.

svennis pennis said:
allblackcitizen said:

What are you on about?

I am asking the question of why risk him if he was concerned about an injury. It is, I think a fair question. I am in no way accusing of Hughes trying to risk the health of a football player FFS. It was a risk, and one that ultimately pointless in hindsight as you put it. But without the benefit of hindsight, the concern was already there.

The level of concern about the injury obviously didn't outweigh the risk of Robinho playing. He was judged fit to play, by both management and player, otherwise he wouldn't have done. Simple as. But you're trying to portray it as another example of poor tactics and bad management on Hughes' part, which i don't necessarily agree with, and have gone on to say that it could be the defining mistake of his tenure and one which will see him out a job because somehow Robinho and his agent have started running MCFC. That's being melodramatic, in my view.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.