Insulation and condensation saves the planet!

Blue Maverick

This year I’ve been steadily insulating our 50 year old house, new roof, new loft insulation 270mm with boarding on top, I’ve just completed an attached garage conversion with a huge amount of insulation in it, all to building specs. The past few days the condensation has been horrendous on the inside of the house, we don’t have trickle vents on our windows last house I was in we did but it was so drafty we needed up closing the up. The garage conversion has just been plastered and a lot of moisture could be coming from that but the extra insulation has made the house warmer but a fucking nightmare with condensation.
Ive heard there’s lots of problems in new builds these days they are so well insulated people are getting mold due to shit ventilation. Walking the dog this morning and almost every house looked similar to mine, with moisture inside. We ended up buying a dehumidifier to see if we can dry out the garage quicker to see if that helps.

If you insulate without having a cavity still, you're pretty much fucked. Needs to be put in at build, cellotex or similar with cavity.
The plastering will definitely affect it, but better not to 'force' it dry, warm the room normally rather than heating on full blast.

This year I’ve been steadily insulating our 50 year old house, new roof, new loft insulation 270mm with boarding on top, I’ve just completed an attached garage conversion with a huge amount of insulation in it, all to building specs. The past few days the condensation has been horrendous on the inside of the house, we don’t have trickle vents on our windows last house I was in we did but it was so drafty we needed up closing the up. The garage conversion has just been plastered and a lot of moisture could be coming from that but the extra insulation has made the house warmer but a fucking nightmare with condensation.
Ive heard there’s lots of problems in new builds these days they are so well insulated people are getting mold due to shit ventilation. Walking the dog this morning and almost every house looked similar to mine, with moisture inside. We ended up buying a dehumidifier to see if we can dry out the garage quicker to see if that helps.
Roof soffit vents which are there for cross ventilation get covered up with insulation and also people close the trickle vents on windows

Roof soffit vents which are there for cross ventilation get covered up with insulation and also people close the trickle vents on windows
That's what these are for:

images

In the NW especially the higher up you are, if you insulate you are better rendering the western gable for a start to stop the condensation. Obviously depends on age, architype etc.

If you insulate without having a cavity still, you're pretty much fucked. Needs to be put in at build, cellotex or similar with cavity.
The plastering will definitely affect it, but better not to 'force' it dry, warm the room normally rather than heating on full blast.
There’s a cavity mate that’s not an issue, got a heater in there now.

What type of vapour barrier did you use between the insulation and the plasterboard?
No vapour barrier required mate, I used PIR insulation so didn’t need vapour barrier according to BC, although the ceiling and in front of garage door I’ve also used foil backed insulation board, in fact if anything I’ve gone above and beyond on the insulation front.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.