Interesting Explanation Re Shirts

Franny Lee's Barrel Chest

Just watching that video with the Umbro senior designer, and it was interesting what he said. To paraphrase, the Mercer jackets with the COA reflect the clubs historic past, and the new crest on the shirt, reflects where we are heading, and I think that sums it up quite well. We are all proud of our history and whilst tradition is nice, we are in a new era and in years to come, if the badge were to change again, will people want the current crest on the shirts instead of the new one?

The inspiration regarding the names and numbers comes from a letter in 1934 from then manager Wild Wild to Umbro (Humphrey Bros) about the quality of the kit. The type font (which is basically an old style typewriter font) and the numbers were drawn from that letter.

I think all this means that City HAVE looked at their past in the design of the shirt, the numbers and names, and the jackets, but are keen to look to the future also, and you can't create history if you're going to dwell on the past too much.

I understand this decision a lot more now, so thanks for the videos City.

If the COA crest was an ugly thing, would we be clamouring for it to be on the shirts this year? Probably not. Sure it looks fantastic, but, it's our history, not our future, and I think that's what the club are trying to convey

Designer/marketing bull to justify not having the COA on the shirt - not falling for it - a PR exercise to flog old stock rather than produce a new, exclusive Cup Final shirt which is what they should have done.

They have proven there was no issue with the use of the COA. They have simply made a commercial decision to try and get rid of the 'old' shirt stocks by tweaking it with a discreet COA on the numbers - they only place they could have done it without destroying the look other than adding a COA over the existing Club badge which would have been an obvious bodge.

i agree that the coat of arms would have looked better and remained true to the heritage but i guess, probably rightly, Umbro and the club feel that 35 years of supporters have never seen a proper trophy win, even 30 years since 81 runner-up and maybe its time to move on but with the link to the past on the jacket. I mean, all being well, this marks the point at which we should be appearing at Wembley every few seasons if not every season, and if part of our stagnation has been to wallow in the past, maybe now is the time to move forward?

They might have them yet - I wouldn't be at all surprised if they do.

I know there's a feeling we should stick to tradition - but traditionally (last 30-odd years) we've been rubbish and had a habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. So maybe the new City new badging idea isn't as daft as it sounds.
There's an awful lot of fuss being made about this - it's not as though were playing in red shirts with white shorts after all. Is it just pre-match nerves coming out?

daveduke67 said:

I know there's a feeling we should stick to tradition - but traditionally (last 30-odd years) we've been rubbish and had a habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. So maybe the new City new badging idea isn't as daft as it sounds.
There's an awful lot of fuss being made about this - it's not as though were playing in red shirts with white shorts after all. Is it just pre-match nerves coming out?

Have to disagree with you on this bit mate; we're something like the 10th most successful English Club ever - in the context of a history stretching back 117(?) years the last 30 years or so are fairly small beer (though it felt like a LONG time!).

As far as the COA is concerned it seems pretty simple to me; every Major Cup Final since the twenties (I think) we've worn the COA on our shirts, and many, including me, can't really understand why we're not doing it this time...

this may be why ...

20. On the occasion of a Club’s last home League Match in any Season an alternative Strip may be worn provided that:
20.1 at least 7 days’ prior written notice of intention to do so is given to the Secretary and the Visiting Club together in each case with a sample of the Strip intended to be worn;
20.2 the alternative Strip shall be subsequently registered as the Club’s home or away Strip for the following Season.

albeit Premier League rules, but maybe if we had a one-off kit for the final it now has to be the kit for next season..<br /><br />-- Fri May 13, 2011 12:47 pm --<br /><br />this may be why ...

20. On the occasion of a Club’s last home League Match in any Season an alternative Strip may be worn provided that:
20.1 at least 7 days’ prior written notice of intention to do so is given to the Secretary and the Visiting Club together in each case with a sample of the Strip intended to be worn;
20.2 the alternative Strip shall be subsequently registered as the Club’s home or away Strip for the following Season.

albeit Premier League rules, but maybe if we had a one-off kit for the final it now has to be the kit for next season..

Mike C said:
daveduke67 said:

Have to disagree with you on this bit mate; we're something like the 10th most successful English Club ever - in the context of a history stretching back 117(?) years the last 30 years or so are fairly small beer (though it felt like a LONG time!).

As far as the COA is concerned it seems pretty simple to me; every Major Cup Final since the twenties (I think) we've worn the COA on our shirts, and many, including me, can't really understand why we're not doing it this time...

Perhaps because the last time we wore it in an FA Cup final we lost! It may be tradition but it's certainly not a lucky omen!

Those types are paid to talk up whatever merchandise they are currently pushing. I like what Umbro has done with City in the last two years but see right through this. Getting rid of old stock. They did not even stitch the addition...just screened it on. -1

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.