Interesting quiz on BBC football - cost of players in todays money

I might be thinking this wrong so feel free to ping a volley of Dogs abuse at my head for this.

The figures quoted are a LOT cheaper taking inflation into account and a lot of the "They are more expensive" just isn't true. For instance

£3,500,000 in 1993 = £6,775,725.09 in 2017 so how can 3.75 million be more expensive than 90 or so million?

Newcastle paid a then world record fee of £15m for the England striker in 1996, which translates to a whopping £125.1m these days according to TotallyMoney.
£15 million is more like £30 million not £125 million isn't it?

This bears no relation to inflation. Is it based on some measure of Premier League commercial income?

It's weird, it's making out that if you do some calculator gymnastics and factor in some non existent sums than Pogba really didn't cost as much as he did :)

And there were you lot thinking Richard Wright at City was a waste of money. Turns out the goalkeeping legend was a bargain!

I might be thinking this wrong so feel free to ping a volley of Dogs abuse at my head for this.

The figures quoted are a LOT cheaper taking inflation into account and a lot of the "They are more expensive" just isn't true. For instance

£3,500,000 in 1993 = £6,775,725.09 in 2017 so how can 3.75 million be more expensive than 90 or so million?

This bears no relation to inflation. Is it based on some measure of Premier League commercial income?
I think its worked on PL transfer inflation, which has been driven by some of those transfers, such as SWP to Chelsea.

If you want to go on football terms alone then it's £92m (UK) or £166m worldwide.

For your first request, BAD DOG, GET OUT!

Would be nice if they showed you a proper comparison at the end all together.

7/10 mostly guess work.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.