Interviews

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
aguero93:20 said:
We're used to you experiencing psychic meltdown and suffering brain freeze - 5 years of reading your posts has prepared us to virtually accept this as your default setting.
Just be yourself - you know your shit, so relax in the knowledge that you can answer any questions - as long as the interviewer sticks to City, bumming and cat memes, you are home free.
I'd drop a couple of valium just to take the edge off things too.
And don't wear khaki combat trousers, or he may call you a Hoxton trustafarian ****.
Valium might not be the best solution if he's struggling to get the words out, speed would do the trick ;)

Worked well for Spud in Trainspotting.
Maybe a line of whizz and half a temazi just for balance, which is a poor man's speedball I guess.
Ketamine is probably a bad idea.

Bloody hell, no wonder my interviews never go easily.

Thanks for the help guys, I think I will give the class A's a miss for an interview as I tend to talk even more inane shit when im on that stuff.
It was absolutely the pressure I put on myself. All I could think about was the step up and the wage increase and the fit birds that worked there. The problem I think mainly is that I felt I didn't deserve to be there its a ridiculous step up I only put my CV in in hope so to get an interview was unbelievable. Anyway lots of time till next Friday to figure my stuff out get the right mind set and revise the stuff I need to know<br /><br />-- 28 Feb 2014, 13:37 --<br /><br />
We're used to you experiencing psychic meltdown and suffering brain freeze - 5 years of reading your posts has prepared us to virtually accept this as your default setting.
Just be yourself - you know your shit, so relax in the knowledge that you can answer any questions - as long as the interviewer sticks to City, bumming and cat memes, you are home free.
And don't wear khaki combat trousers, or he may call you a Hoxton trustafarian ****.
Im also pretty good at agenda rationalising

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Thanks for the help guys, I think I will give the class A's a miss for an interview as I tend to talk even more inane shit when im on that stuff.
It was absolutely the pressure I put on myself. All I could think about was the step up and the wage increase and the fit birds that worked there. The problem I think mainly is that I felt I didn't deserve to be there its a ridiculous step up I only put my CV in in hope so to get an interview was unbelievable. Anyway lots of time till next Friday to figure my stuff out get the right mind set and revise the stuff I need to know

-- 28 Feb 2014, 13:37 --

Im also pretty good at agenda rationalising

You're fucked, then.

Pigeonho is on the interview panel.

I've always seen mock interviews as the same category as 'practicing penalties' before a world cup. It just doesn't really prepare you for the occasion where the pressure starts to kick in.

It's so hard when its a job that you really want, and one that you can actually visualise yourself doing, to not get nervous. I think nerves are all part of the process and id be very surprised if they didn't take that into consideration.

I had a bit of a RAWK style meltdown in my interview for the job i have now, guy asked me a question which i knew like the back of my hand, i ended up having to write the answer down on a notepad because i just couldn't get the words out.

Good luck

Practice, practice, practice. My son had to go for a visa interview at the US Embassy and they turn down more than they accept. He's a fairly happy-go-lucky character who can talk his way into anything usually but he had me working on and rehearsing his answers for weeks and insisting that they were word perfect. Of course the answers have to sound natural but you should know exactly what you're going to say.

Also don't go in thinking about the job and how desperate you are to get it but think solely about selling yourself because that's what you're doing. You come over well so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'd go in and say you know you screwed up the initial interview but it's because you were so keen on the job. It'll break the ice a bit and let's the guy know that you want it. I was talking to an HR consultant on the train recently and he said something I completely agreed with; being passionate about what you do (or want to do) is the key thing recruiters look for. If you've got that desire then you DO deserve to be there.

Something I've always done is just to use 5 or even 10 seconds to compose myself before answering a difficult question. Gives you a bit of breathing space to think through the question and compose your answer. You don't have to sit there silent but you can say something like "That's a good question". Don't be mono-syllabic but don't gabble either.

Give me a call if you want any help. Good luck.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Yesterday I had my first interview for a job in 5yrs. Fantastic opportunity I get to miss 2 rungs on the ladder to get the position and fast tracked blah blah blah anyway.
I go there cool as a cucumber, confident I know my work inside out, no worries. First question my mind goes "fuck you, Im leaving," so im sat there looking like a complete moron for about 30 seconds. Obviously panic starts to set in as my brain has gone off for a wander at the one time I need it. After stumbling through the interview for 20 minutes the guy says we are done, shakes my hand, pleasantries exchanged all normal order. Walk out of interview and brain decides to engage and tell me every answer I needed.
Luckily for me he could tell I completely pantsed it in the interview but likes me and my qualifications and would like to give me a more informal meeting so to gauge it better

2 Questions to you lovely people

1)How on earth do I stop that from happening
2)Has anyone else had a complete meltdown during an interview

Your Sincerely

A Wanker

Fucking fair play, so you've missed litter collecting and burger flipping and straight on to the tills?

nimrod said:

Valium ?

half a tablet works for stage fright

Whatever you do don't wash it down with a scotch!

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Yesterday I had my first interview for a job in 5yrs. Fantastic opportunity I get to miss 2 rungs on the ladder to get the position and fast tracked blah blah blah anyway.
I go there cool as a cucumber, confident I know my work inside out, no worries. First question my mind goes "fuck you, Im leaving," so im sat there looking like a complete moron for about 30 seconds. Obviously panic starts to set in as my brain has gone off for a wander at the one time I need it. After stumbling through the interview for 20 minutes the guy says we are done, shakes my hand, pleasantries exchanged all normal order. Walk out of interview and brain decides to engage and tell me every answer I needed.
Luckily for me he could tell I completely pantsed it in the interview but likes me and my qualifications and would like to give me a more informal meeting so to gauge it better

Your Sincerely

A Wanker

Two rungs on the ladder eh !!!!!........ Still a long way to go to be able to change the blue bulbs at the stadium :}

BoyBlue_1985 said:

Your Sincerely

A Wanker

I have I was asked a question waffled on for 5 minutes then said to her what was the question again as I had forgotten it!!!! I did get the job.
I always seem to go to jelly at interviews and writing on a flip chart

Don't think practising answers is a great idea - what if the questions you practise don't come up?

I think I remember that you are an electrician so I will try to link to that, alter if not.

Better to think of a general idea that might come up e.g. re-wires.
Make a mind map of things linked to that they could be looking for.

Repeat for all other areas that could come up.

This way, you can answer the question that is asked, not just answer the question that is similar to the ones you practised which might not be exactly what they are looking for. e.g. you might have practised your answer linked to residential re-wires but they may specifically ask about high rise flats or large office blocks.
By doing a mind map, you will be able to take the ideas from them and adapt more easily to the specific question.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.