Interviews

BoyBlue_1985

Yesterday I had my first interview for a job in 5yrs. Fantastic opportunity I get to miss 2 rungs on the ladder to get the position and fast tracked blah blah blah anyway.
I go there cool as a cucumber, confident I know my work inside out, no worries. First question my mind goes "fuck you, Im leaving," so im sat there looking like a complete moron for about 30 seconds. Obviously panic starts to set in as my brain has gone off for a wander at the one time I need it. After stumbling through the interview for 20 minutes the guy says we are done, shakes my hand, pleasantries exchanged all normal order. Walk out of interview and brain decides to engage and tell me every answer I needed.
Luckily for me he could tell I completely pantsed it in the interview but likes me and my qualifications and would like to give me a more informal meeting so to gauge it better

2 Questions to you lovely people

1)How on earth do I stop that from happening
2)Has anyone else had a complete meltdown during an interview

Your Sincerely

A Wanker

I dare say we have all done it mate at one time or another, my strategy was to go into the Interview knowing I wouldn't get the job, it used to calm me down a bit. There are all sorts of mind games we can play with ourselves, just choose one that works, another one, opposite to the don't give a fuck attitude was to say to myself that this was for my daughter or son and I could not fail.
If the guy has invited you back he obviously empathises with your nerves and blank mind syndrome so do the fella proud and show him the real you for taking a punt on you..!

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Yesterday I had my first interview for a job in 5yrs. Fantastic opportunity I get to miss 2 rungs on the ladder to get the position and fast tracked blah blah blah anyway.
I go there cool as a cucumber, confident I know my work inside out, no worries. First question my mind goes "fuck you, Im leaving," so im sat there looking like a complete moron for about 30 seconds. Obviously panic starts to set in as my brain has gone off for a wander at the one time I need it. After stumbling through the interview for 20 minutes the guy says we are done, shakes my hand, pleasantries exchanged all normal order. Walk out of interview and brain decides to engage and tell me every answer I needed.
Luckily for me he could tell I completely pantsed it in the interview but likes me and my qualifications and would like to give me a more informal meeting so to gauge it better

2 Questions to you lovely people

1)How on earth do I stop that from happening
2)Has anyone else had a complete meltdown during an interview

Your Sincerely

A Wanker
This one's pretty simple BB, write down every Q you can remember from the interview as well as any others you'd expect to come up and get someone you feel relaxed around to sit down and do mock interviews with you based on those questions, you'll always feel more relaxed and come across as much more competent and assured if you've practised what you're doing, as you need to engage less areas of the brain to complete the action (you can do it on autopilot).
Best of luck with the interview, always good to hear positive news job wise these days.

2) plenty of times mate, happens to the best of us :)

Practice mate, that's all. Get a friend to do mock interviews with you, get used to giving your answers quickly and naturally.

Also, try and ignore your motivations. You're putting pressure on yourself because you want it.

Relax, remember you have a job and will be fine regardless.

The less pressure you put on yourself, or the less you "need" the position the more relaxed you will be

Good luck, though

I also had my first interview in 10 years on Weds afternoon in Crewe. Had to do a 30 minute presentation and then an hour interview with a panel of 3 people. I was fine all week and like you and i really know my subject and area . I really really want the job and i dont think that helps the nerves much and on Weds i crumbled from no nerves to absolutely doubting everything i knew. To be fair though, i think you should have an element of nerves and it shows you care and want the job. Most people have the same feelings towards interviews.

I really concentrated on what i had prepared and my experience and just tried not to descend into talking crap and bumbling on about things when i dont need to. Find out Monday hopefully if i get it.<br /><br />-- Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:20 pm --<br /><br />
roaminblue said:
Practice mate, that's all. Get a friend to do mock interviews with you, get used to giving your answers quickly and naturally.

Also, try and ignore your motivations. You're putting pressure on yourself because you want it.

Relax, remember you have a job and will be fine regardless.

The less pressure you put on yourself, or the less you "need" the position the more relaxed you will be

Good luck, though

Bang on about the biggest pressure being what we put on ourselves. I kept trying to tell myself that i have a job already, so if i dont get it then its not the end of the world. It does help.

This is where revealing tops and flirting come in handy to cover up any mistakes with your interview technique. Id suggest fishnet tights, short pvc skirt and a low cut blouse.
Good luck mate

We're used to you experiencing psychic meltdown and suffering brain freeze - 5 years of reading your posts has prepared us to virtually accept this as your default setting.
Just be yourself - you know your shit, so relax in the knowledge that you can answer any questions - as long as the interviewer sticks to City, bumming and cat memes, you are home free.
I'd drop a couple of valium just to take the edge off things too.
And don't wear khaki combat trousers, or he may call you a Hoxton trustafarian ****.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
We're used to you experiencing psychic meltdown and suffering brain freeze - 5 years of reading your posts has prepared us to virtually accept this as your default setting.
Just be yourself - you know your shit, so relax in the knowledge that you can answer any questions - as long as the interviewer sticks to City, bumming and cat memes, you are home free.
And don't wear khaki combat trousers, or he may call you a Hoxton trustafarian ****.
Valium might not be the best solution if he's struggling to get the words out, speed would do the trick ;)

aguero93:20 said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Valium might not be the best solution if he's struggling to get the words out, speed would do the trick ;)

Worked well for Spud in Trainspotting.
Maybe a line of whizz and half a temazi just for balance, which is a poor man's speedball I guess.
Ketamine is probably a bad idea.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.