Inverted Wingers

There’s nothing wrong with inverted wingers if the rest of the team is well-catered for it. But ours isn’t yet. Inverted wingers is great if your full backs are capable going forwards and able to get a lot of assists. Cancelo is capable but nobody else is. So we don’t have that luxury. We can try it but you then need a double pivot if you’re going to have your full backs playing high, otherwise there’s no balance. But our double pivot has left a lot to be desired. Our wingers are good when they are inverted. All of them are. Actually most of them are BETTER inverted. But right now our squad doesn’t really allow it to be effective as we don’t have all the right pieces yet. So we should keep our wingers high and wide on their orthodox sides until we correct the squad in the summer. Inverted wingers will 100% be the way we go next season, that won’t change. The players enabling it will though.

All yesterday told us was that non-inverted wingers can work. Not anything on inverted wingers.

The thing about using wingers on their regular side on their stronger foot in City's setup, is that it's all about either being able to play the ball ahead of them to run on to, or at least creating space behind the opposition fullbacks for them to carry the ball into.

Against a team like Chelsea that push up a bit that's something that we can finally do now that we have a pacy Foden to operate on the left.

But most teams sit ridiculously deep, and then our wingers are getting no space to run into or carry the ball into. They inevitably always have to cut inside. That's where having inverted wingers helps.

In fairness, if we're moving the ball at our absolute sharpest, we should be good enough to create the necessary space anyway. But equally, if we're playing at our best inverted wingers should work well too.

What's nice to have the ability to choose between either as and when it's needed. That's something we had in 18/19 but not since Sané got injured and subsequently left. But it's possible that Foden could be a remedy to this.

Must be nice playing in a league where everybody throws players forwards.
That is bullocks as it is just the style that might be different. I think it is far easier to get from one side of the pitch to the other in the EPL and the midfielders and defenders of the big team far have more difficulties to pass without harm. I actually would prefer teams really sitting back against us as Bayern seldom has problems against that. The way the teams - even the small ones - are setup right now makes us far more problems. But actually we seem to have far less problems defensively with the bigger teams than the smaller ones - maybe it is a problem of concentration, too. We just broke a top league record of going behind 8 times in a row with at the end still not losing the match. We might need to long to adapt our match to the opponent - but I remember that we had a phase like this in one of the years with Pep when we did not score until late in the first half or at the start of the second - we just did not concede first very often - but leagues develop their style over time and at that time I do not remember that the other teams defended that agressively and had so many fast forwards.

And the goal I showed you was from a situation when the opponent had many players behind the ball. (So yes, some could say that the movement of Lewy and Müller might have irritated the goalkeeper even if they did not block the view on the ball for the keeper).

The whole inverted winger story has a lot to do with the shape of the teams and the players available. Bayern usually plays a little asymetrical with the right fullback more defensive than the left (Davies). That makes especially sense as we have Müller who often drifts to the right and switching positions with the right winger or even Kimmich who likes that right half space to when he goes forward. The coordination from Sane with this two actually already is fine even if there always is an improvement possible - his difficulties are different. It is more about general mentality, not switching off and going into duels sharper. As Flick told in the prematch conference - he will never be a Kimmich or Müller in that aspect as he just is not the type for that - but it for sure can improve.

I actually do not see the advantage with the non invert wingers with your team as you just do not have the midfield players of physicality. You need the wingers in the box.

Sterling on the right and Foden on the left killed Chelsea yesterday. Making runs in behind, stretching the back four also allowed us to dominate the middle and give KDB more space.
As soon as I see correctly positioned wingers I feel much more confident

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.