Investigation in Liverpool's 'hacking' of our computer systems

Absolutely, especially if you no longer work for that organisation. As Colin Bells Boots suggested, we got a million quid.Quite frankly the impact of legal proceedings against the scousers by the police would have been worth more in my opinion .The perpetrators should have been sacked by the scousers unless they condoned their actions.The trouble is you or I never have the full facts and cant always get to grips as to why management behave in a certain way.

Didnt the scousers promote the perpetrators ?

Is logging in using a username and password that hadn’t been deleted, actually classed as hacking?
What they actually did was log-in using someone else's details (ie not their own which had been deleted once they left). I believe that is hacking. What I suspect though is that the security culture was so bad at City that staff shared passwords etc which may explain why we didn't want to pursue action.

No, but it is called shite security.
You really need to take proper trolling lessons.

The two ex-employees who used a current employee's login details to gain access to our systems committed at least a Section 1 offence under the Computer Misuse Act, by going into a system they knew they weren't entitled to access. That's the minimum offence under the act and carries a maximum two year jail sentence.

If they gained access as a test, and intended to steal data, that carries a maximum sentence of 5 years. If they altered data or did something else that impacted our use of that system, that's the most serious offence and carries a maximum 10-year jail sentence.

It's possible however that the club, or one of our employees, were in some way negligent, which would have rendered a prosecution difficult. The CPS will only take a case if they believe there's a reasonable chance of conviction.

Last edited:
If I go into my own system using my logon details no crime. If I then share them details with a rival its an issue. I dont believe this stuff about we didnt close a security gap therefore it is our own fault hence we didnt press for a court case.

The details were givcen to our rivals, that is the crime

The two ex-employees who used a current employee's login details to gain access to our systems committed at least a Section 1 offence under the Computer Misuse Act, by going into a system they knew they weren't entitled to access. That's the minimum offence under the act and carries a maximum two year jail sentence.

If they gained access as a test, and intended to steal data, that carries a maximum sentence of 5 years. If they altered data or did something else that impacted our use of that system, that's the most serious offence and carries a maximum 10-year jail sentence.

It's possible however that the club, or one of our employees, were in some way negligent, which would have rendered a prosecution difficult. The CPS will only take a case if they believe there's a reasonable chance of conviction.
Not trolling at all. Just think it smacks of an organisation not taking all the steps it could / should have done to protect highly confidential data. Which is what you allude to in your last paragraph. If it were a case with irrefutable proof of wrongdoing the CPS would surely have granted a day in court. Maybe taking the payment from Liverpool spared everyone’s blushes.

Didn't they access City's system around 80 times in a six month period?
In which case that must prove they were intending to/or did steal data

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.