Is it better to be ignorant ?

Sorry, I didn't clarify. There's a huge difference between ignorant by choice and ignorant because well..they're just a bit of an idiot and don't care. I meant the latter, whereas you're in the former. No offence meant.
None taken. I am fully aware of what is going on in the world. But as I can't do anything about it I don't worry about it. An example?
I have two work colleagues in hospital with covid. One seriously. When I heard the news I thought..."shit, hope they get better." Do I worry about them? Yeah. Am I wringing my hands stressing about them and my workplace? Nope. Because that way madness lies.

I get the sentiment of your post - my mum text me this morning, worried 'bout the mental health of my dad - they've both been "confined to barracks" since lockdown and he spends a significant amount of the day listening or watching the news. Mum thinks he needs to switch off and focus on something else. Which is hard when you can't set foot outside your home - which in itself is a constant reminder of this "thing". I've tempered the amount of news I now read; it was getting me in a fug of depression so I catch up with Newsnight and find that's much healthier. It's actually been quite strange to see the events in the US become headline news - Covid, for once, taking a back seat. Since March everything, the news, sport, TV etc, etc seems to have been subsumed by Covid. so I completely get the "ignorance" thing; a chance to switch off from the death rates, the infection rates, the wait for a vaccine etc. Normally I'd say everyone should be attuned to the news, to know what's happening in the world, to be au fait with the newspapers, but, on this, I think it's healthy to have some time off.
Do a nice thing and send your Dad a ukelele with a how to play book.
I bet that would cheer him up and show him you care.

Not in a malice sense.

but there’s just so many problems in the world that if you spend enough time watching/reading it becomes very heavy and leads to anxiety and depression.

whilst some people can just switch off from it all and not have a care in the world and just go about there day, no debating, no arguing with anyone.

is it better to just be ignorant and not bother with all the worlds woes.

one of the best things I've done is staying off twitter, and also facebook.

Life's so much nicer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.