Is it time for City to move on from Kompany & Toure?

I think next summer, the priorities are crystal clear:

- Left back cover for Mendy
- Replace Vinnie
- Replace Yaya
- Replace Fernandinho
- A versatile forward

Job done.

A little over 3 years ago, we won the title.

Three years isn't a long time in the overall scheme of things, but from that victorious squad, we only have five players left.

Kompany, Fernandinho, Toure, Silva and Aguero.

Of those 5, how many will still be with us this time next year?

Silva perhaps, but I don't know about the others.

3 year is a lifetime in the world of football

Stones display last night was every bit as good as Vinnie in his pomp. Granted, not against top notch opposition but I have always thought that John was bought to become Vinnies successor. He is now proving that the club got that spot on. Future captain too.
Kompany gets injured in advance of liverpool and the Champions league. Time for Stones to step up to the mark. He does and City score 9 without reply.

Well done Stonesy! More please

I think next summer, the priorities are crystal clear:

- Left back cover for Mendy
- Replace Vinnie
- Replace Yaya
- Replace Fernandinho
- A versatile forward

Job done.
50% of that could well come from EDS and loaners we currently have on the books

I think we will only see Yaya in the domestic cup matches as a starter, probably league cup only a that.
He is a good player to bring on when we want to slow the game down and see games out.
Just to slow for how we are trying to play any more.

Forgive me. I haven't read the whole thread but would agree in principle with the OP.
I think one of the best things Pep has done managerially is to ensure nobody is an automatic starter.
This initially may have upset the old guard, but along with shipping out parts of the old regime for whatever footballing reasons he had, is a good thing in my mind.
It tells everyone there is no stagnating tolerated and it is not in the club's plans.

Yaya was already nearing the end of his usefulness. He bounced back and proved his worth last year. He has to do the same again if he wants to play a part.
Kev is already being groomed for this role IMO and is doing very well.
Vinnie is still the best we have but is not an asset to us if he can't play.
Pep is challenging John to step up to the mark.
I agree he'll learn better along side Vinnie, but as long as we are keeping clean sheets I think Vinnie has to wait for his chance to slot back in the same as anyone else.
A long layoff might make him think twice next time he risks injury in a meaningless match that Belgium were always going to win.

Belgium might not have got the chemistry quite right but with the talent in their squad they have the chance to go very deep into the world cup to the semis and with a fair wind even the final. I suspect that's why Vinny isn't retiring from international football and, hand on heart, who can blame him?

I'd prefer it if there were no meaningless qualifiers, we all would, but it's the situation we're in. As I see it, he'll be made to sit out as a quasi-punishment and might even get picked for the league cup next week and we'll be fine for him for a couple of months and then revisit this chat again.

Yaya is a bit part player, was probably kept on for his dressing room influence as much as anything. He will have a role to play and the contract was the right idea, but he'll get a max of around 20 games all season in all comps. As it should be for a pro winding down .
Hand on heart,i can blame him,City have been more than fair to him and he is the captain and at this stage of his injury filled career he should put City first and end his Belguim career,world cup or not.

When we sign somebody fit to lace Kompanys boots then we can move on. Yaya has more or less already been replaced though I suspect he's still got a role to play before the seasons done.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.