Is it time to say goodbye

Our dog who is 8, out of the blue this year started suffering from really bad episodes of diarrhoea. She was up in the night every 45 mins really straining and not happy. This lasted about 3-5 days then she’d get better but this happened every 2 to 3 weeks for about 4 month! It’s was exhausting. Loads of tests and money spent at the vets, they eventually diagnosed colitis. We’ve had to completely change her diet and she ONLY has kibble dog food, zero treats (except for kibble) and she’s been right as rain for about 4 months now. Don’t know what triggered it, but thankfully she seems to be over it.
Interesting. About 5 months ago we moved to the fresh, raw food for her and she absolutely loved it. I’ve not associated this change to what she’s going through now due to the fact it was quite some time ago.

Will give colitis a little google

Interesting. About 5 months ago we moved to the fresh, raw food for her and she absolutely loved it. I’ve not associated this change to what she’s going through now due to the fact it was quite some time ago.

Certainly worth looking into. As Blueinsa said you need to get the correct plain food. I.e it still needs to be a complete dog food, but it’s made a huge change for our dog and we were thinking along the same lines as you when she was poorly.

We breed smooth haired miniature Dachshunds so a vets bill is never too far away.

I have learnt to be straight with our vet and not take any shit form them and we now have a relationship in which they know not to take the piss because i am knowledgeable about the breed, my dogs health in general and they know i can self medicate because i will if they feel they can take the piss insist on a prescription so i can buy the drugs needed online.

Routine flea and wormer is less than half the price online for the same stuff the vet and his drug reps want to force on you. Lepto 2 and lepto 4 jabs are useless in this country and last about 3 months effectively yet the vet will want you to pay for them yearly even though its a bacterial disease of which there are over 50 types and its only prevalent in hot sub tropical climates in which the dog in is contact with rat piss and shit. the 2 and 4 is just 2 variant, 4 is not safe for small breed dogs and you are wasting your money with potential deadly effects on your dog that didn't need it anyway.

learn your breed, google is your friend and insist on the best deal from your vet and if he wants £50 for a treatment you can buy with a prescription online for £20 tell them to fuck off it is that simple.
Out of interest, do you know if vets ever refuse to write prescriptions if you’re not buying the drugs from them?

Raw is all the rage right now but its a science and you have to ensure that the mix you make if you are doing it yourself contains everything the dog needs and i do mean everything. Like us they need a fully balanced diet and a mix missing one thing all the time and they will be deficient and unwell because of it.

If you're buying in a brand then just make sure its the best you can get mate.

Raw should always be introduced slowly over a week or so for those trying it as well.

Its also expensive so manageable for a single dog or a few small breed but for multiple dogs, especially a larger breed it will prove to be very expensive.

Out of interest, do you know if vets ever refuse to write prescriptions if you’re not “buying” from them?

Mine doesnt because i've had a straight conversation with them. happy to buy from them so long as they dont take the piss with price. I understand they are a business and that they have drug reps pushing product but why would i pay £50 for something i can get online for £20? They wouldn't to which they admitted so why should I?

They get lots of business from me as it is so its only fair we have a good relationship and that we can trust each other and that includes invoicing.

Mine doesnt because i've had a straight conversation with them. happy to buy from them so long as they dont take the piss with price. I understand they are a business and that they have drug reps pushing product but why would i pay £50 for something i can get online for £20? They wouldn't to which they admitted so why should I?

They get lots of business from me as it is so its only fair we have a good relationship and that we can trust each other and that includes invoicing.
Fair enough. A constructive relationship always counts for a lot.

I’m guessing they are bound by a code of conduct to issue prescriptions on demand. I’ve not experienced the issue but would change vet if it arose.

Raw is all the rage right now but its a science and you have to ensure that the mix you make if you are doing it yourself contains everything the dog needs and i do mean everything. Like us they need a fully balanced diet and a mix missing one thing all the time and they will be deficient and unwell because of it.

If you're buying in a brand then just make sure its the best you can get mate.

Raw should always be introduced slowly over a week or so for those trying it as well.

Its also expensive so manageable for a single dog or a few small breed but for multiple dogs, especially a larger breed it will prove to be very expensive.
Yeah she’s been on it for months now, introduced slowly and she loved it. Buy it online, it’s expensive but we really noticed a change in her so we’ve kept ob

She’s not been great tonight and my stress and worry is at maximum right now. Back at the vets on Monday, she isn’t right and I’m pissed off they haven’t given me more, my own fault.

She’s flat out in bed now as she has been most of the night. So scared right now. I’ll be sleeping downstairs tonight

She’s not been great tonight and my stress and worry is at maximum right now. Back at the vets on Monday, she isn’t right and I’m pissed off they haven’t given me more, my own fault.

She’s flat out in bed now as she has been most of the night. So scared right now. I’ll be sleeping downstairs tonight
I have never had a dog, or any over pet (goldfish) come to think about it, but i some how feel your pain. much love and best wishes for you and the dog

Feel your pain been there and its shit

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.