Is it worth it?

This abortion is valuable, and yet when I grew up Stalybridge had a beautiful old Stone Town Hall architecturally superb and the council saw fit to knock it down.

I still dont understand why it was demolished. Heres all thats left.

preview-205int00135.jpg

Think of it like a Centre Parks
Probably has a big enough footprint to stick a combined nursing home/medical centre/leisure facility for the elderly in there, they won't put housing somewhere that remote though.

This is an interesting piece. Is the building even worth saving? It was used for about a decade and has spent the next 4 decades falling down. It looks like a car park and I suspect it it was a city centre car park it would have gone long ago.
Do people think that these 60's concrete constructions are worth saving? They don't float my boat I have to say and whenever I watch programmes about architecture they get to this period and I see Park Hill in Sheffield and those ones in Camden and I can't say I see an attractive place to live personally.
There was that car park in Gateshead that found cinematographic fame in Get Carter at a point when it was being built. However when Tesco's rocked up and wanted the site and offered cash and a new swimming baths for Gateshead they said "fuck that" and the car park was gone !
Alternatively will students of architecture and people of the future look back in 150 years time and consider these 60's office blocks, car parks etc to be classics - not like a 500 year old cathedral classic - but something that they are glad was saved for posterity?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-46822229

What about all the dead bodies, still buried there ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.