Is left back really a problem?

That's your opinion.

Interestingly Pep has decided not to sell him, this far.

Don't you wonder why?
No, it's because pep trusts him to do what's asked of him......if pep had no trust, he would never play him, and we would mutually agree to terminate his contract making him a free agent to go whee he pleases for free.

Okay, let's say that's true.

Do you think Pep is sentimental?

A) Why is he on the bench or starting?

B) Why doesn't an EDS player come in for that remaining spot, then, if he's 'so shit'?

Despite working with some extremely talented players, if Pep doesn't see your worth, you don't get played or you train with the kids.

So, any answers...?
Financials, amortisation, the need for funds elsewhere

That's your opinion.

Interestingly Pep has decided not to sell him, this far.

Don't you wonder why?
Mendy isn't a bad player as some people make him out to be. Attacking he's fine, but defensively could be better. However I said it before, it's more of a formation problem. He isn't used in a defensive role like Walker or in an inverted fullback that floats into the midfield like Zinch or Cancelo. He's role is to stay out wide and high. It's to occupy the wing so the left winger can come in centrally.

The problem becomes when he's up so high and wide it makes it hard for him to get back when we're counter attacked. Angelino had the same problem. They are used more like a winger/wingback in the formation, but have to get back into an LB position to defend. I think Pep realized they can't do this and I believe played a back 3 with Mendy when he did play later in the season.

Pep decided to put the wingers high and wide and have fullbacks like Zinch and Walker to invert/defend. Thus we were defensively solid, but scored a lot less due to less men up in attack.

Last edited:
Mendy isn't a bad player as some people make him out to be. Attacking he's fine, but defensively could be better. However I said it before, it's more of a formation problem. He isn't used in a defensive role like Walker or in an inverted fullback that floats into the midfield like Zinch or Cancelo. He's role is to stay out wide and high. It's to occupy the wing so the left winger can come in centrally.

The problem becomes when he's up so high and wide it make it hard for him to get back when we're counter attacked. Angelino had the same problem. They are used more like a winger/wingback in the formation, but have to get back into an LB position to defend. I think Pep realized they can't do this and I believe played a back 3 with Mendy when he did play later in the season.

Pep decided to put the wingers high and wide and have fullbacks like Zinch and Walker to invert/defend. Thus we were defensively solid, but scored a lot less due to less men up in attack.

Again, excellent point well made!

Ironically I was going to add the positional issue, but thought it would be ignored.

Raising the Angelino issue is an excellent comparison.

The position in which Guardiola needs the LB is precarious and the team need to be in control of the attack in order for the defensive balance to hold.

Something I feel that's worth noting is that since 17/18 we've steadily decreased how much we press year on year. We've gone from crazy pressing to more strategic pressing.

When we signed Mendy, we pressed a lot. Mendy was a player that had been moulded by Bielsa and then played for THAT Monaco side. He was incredibly suited to our constant attacking play.

He's not really suited to the slower game. He can do it, but his weaknesses seem to come up more often. What I think has hampered him moreso than other players in our side is the injuries and whatever else is keeping him out of the squad, so he's not really had the chance or time to adapt as much as anyone else.

The problem becomes when he's up so high and wide it make it hard for him to get back when we're counter attacked. Angelino had the same problem. They are used more like a winger/wingback in the formation, but have to get back into an LB position to defend. I think Pep realized they can't do this and I believe played a back 3 with Mendy when he did play later in the season.

Tbf most of the major goal-costing fuck ups he has been responsible for seem to have occurred in defensive positions and been caused by issues of technique and concentration rather than a case of being caught upfield. Wolves away, Chelsea away last year spring to mind

Tbf most of the major goal-costing fuck ups he has been responsible for seem to have occurred in defensive positions and been caused by issues of technique and concentration rather than a case of being caught upfield. Wolves away, Chelsea away last year spring to mind
True, he's not the best defensively. Neither is Cancelo tbf. They clearly are attacking fullbacks and it helps them when we dominate possession. I remember the Wolves game we were down to 10 men. However, some of the blame of the counters were also because of the dreaded Rodri/Gundo double pivot which had to be deployed because Mendy was out high and wide because you needed men back to defend. It created problems all over the pitch especially with Dinho and Otamendo at CB.

We will see what Pep decides and what direction he wants to go. The problem with Mendy is that he really is only suited to play that wide left role. I don't think he can invert and not sure he can do what Walker does either. At least a fullback like Cancelo can both invert or go wide and can change formations mid game.

If the links to Robinson from Fulham are true this could mean he would be the LB that could be used like Walker. More of a traditional fullback that has pace, defends and goes on a normal overlapping runs. Also if we do get Grealish, he can link up more like how he did with Target from the left.

Yeah, weirdly enough most of the goals we concede with him in the side (not too many either) often aren't to do with him. He does clearly have his moments though, that generally go unpunished. His complete lack of acceleration seems to be his biggest enemy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.