Is Manchester getting rougher (or is it just reported more?)

I've only lived in Manchester for 3 years, as a student in the 70's. I thought it was very violent then. Got duffed up a few times for no reason while walking in the city centre. It seems more placid these days.

Depends where/when you go.
Will be a bit mental next few Friday/Saturday nights with the once a year drinkers getting tanked up and gobby.

Well I started this thread as yesterdays evening news was nowt but crime stories, southern lass twatted, old man attacked etc and also because one of the other stories affected me indirectly, and wondered just not so much is it worse than when I was a lad or does it come across moe like that in a digital age.
I go to games and out in town and never had mither even when I have been a tosser (which happens) but honestly until 2 years ago I have never had muther in town and it was out of town lads who gave me a dig so I don't think it's more rougher in the city centre, but tbf abbey in the 80's/90's and now is a lot shiter and feels less communal but not threatning, just unfriendlier.

A lot of good comments on here and it doeas seem it's more media coverage increase than any real increase to most people.

Last edited:
One major issue is the fact GMP aren't making money off nicking all these little scrotes who are at the bottom of the pyramid dealing smaller quantities of spice etc.
They openly see the dealing, selling of stolen items and all the rest of it yet never do fuck all.

Recently there was an article in the MEN proclaiming loads of drug dealers operating within Picc Gardens had been sent down but if you looked at the images of the cctv footage it clearly shows these lads were doing the dealing over two years ago.
There's still an army of them operating in the same area right now.

On my way home from work if I'm doing over the speed limit I'm instantly caught and given a penalty.
I've probably spent more in car park fines than any of these chavy bastards have in court fines for their actual crimes that are harming people.

This is the problem.

Legalise all drugs, prescription based, get the users on a database and get them treated.
If they stay addicted at least they aren't paying stupid prices to these scrotes.

Bring back National Service and throw all these lads who act tough on the streets Into NS programs.
I don't think its about GMP dibble about making money more like having to meet the monthly quota for convictions.especially now dibble can hand out fixed penalty notices .which one do you think is easier to solve crime rates ?.the well respected business man with no previous who has one too many in a working lunch walks home but has a squirt behind a bush on the way home ,plod sees him "ok Mr ponsomby-Smythe - do you want to pay a fixed penalty of £80 or go to court and your name will be in the papers .we all know the answer.p.c plod gets praise for a solved crime !!
Or should pc plod risk his life arresting a dealer .have to go to court to give statements against the dealer possibly putting his kids in danger of reprisal.when there's no guarantee of conviction anyway

I used the picc garden lads once or twice and the deals are shit, should be fucking sent down for that alone. They did not mug you off though, you don't expect fat bags off the cuff like that. Before you call me a ****, the missus had the cc and was in selfridges so i felt i deserved a smoke and a beer.

Had a scrap with some scrotes when i looked out my hotel window a few years back on peter street, doing over some poor **** who had to many and was sat on a bench getting his shit together. Me and the bloke got shedded in the hotel bar the next day, he was a top chap. Luckily they were smack head types and a strong breeze would have destroyed them let alone a slap of a coked up city fan who just won the title xD

Ok serious head on... i think it is steady tbh, we have slight curves upwards and downwards, if it feels a bit more violent it probably is just a bit but will most likely calm again.

Its quite simple. The same any rown or city. There is no deterrent. In fact jail itself isnt really jail compared to how it once was.
Nothng to do with Manchester itself.

I've not lived in or around Manchester for over 30 years, but I visit the City centre, and go out there, more now than I ever have, since my son moved up last year. I think its far better than it was in the early 80's when I often had to get buses in and out, in the evenings (going to and from work at the airport), when it seemed quite an intimidating place full of scrotes (as did the buses).

I'm certainly not there every weekend by any means, but my lad (26) is, and he never really tells me of any trouble, in fact the only mither he's had in a year there, was a with a young City player, so I don't know if its just the places people visit. Yes in and around Piccadilly Gardens there are dealers, and there is a lot of "homeless", but I think if you are sensible there is no need to interact with them.

Despite the fact there are a lot fewer police visible than back in the early 80's (apart from football days funnily enough - who says football fans are treated differently ?), there's far more people living there also, so I'd say there is less trouble, OK much more CCTV helps with the fewer police.

I currently live in a smallish market town in the SE of England, and every day we have the same stories about relatively minor crime in the local media, much of it is racial in nature. I would bet the proportion of stories to the size of the town, its far worse here than in Manchester, in fact I rarely use the town centre here at night, because its full of drunk/drugged scrotes looking for trouble, but also I know where to go and where not to go, so its all easily avoided.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.