Is Manuka honey worth paying extra for?

A fiver for a 500gm jar is a bargain for manuka honey. And I really like the taste. Not as sweet as many honeys, especially supermarket honey. The brand of Manuka I bought has a bit of toffee liquorice flavour about it, that obviously comes from Manuka pollen. I'll stock up on it if I see it same price next week.

It is indeed a total bargain. The taste, i did say, was my own preference/opinion. i don't like it. My point was the crazy prices are for the claimed properties, rather than selling taste as such.

An English couple, American couple and Canadian couple are all on honeymoon
On the first morning the three couples are starting breakfast
The American man asks his wife "Pass me the sugar, Sugar"
The Canadian man asks his wife "pass me the honey, Honey"
The Englishman asks his wife "pass me the milk yer cow"

Yes, It’s the local being better for hay fever sufferers I wasn’t sure of. But my customers seem convinced so not going to argue with them.

That is correct - buy honey directly from your local beekeepers if you suffer from hay fever. The honey will contain the local pollens which are causing you the irritation, works the same way as having a flu jab.

It is a con job created by the chattering classes.
Honey is honey.
It contains around 40% fructose and 30% glucose, along with some water, pollen and trace minerals, how that is good for you is beyond me.
Well, you don't see many bears dying young, or walking about with dodgy joints.

Millions of people buy honey and lemon based products for cold flu and sore throats in syrup tablets and capsules. Made with powdered lemon and cheap honey, you're definitely not getting the good stuff.

Best buying a bag of 4-6 lemons and juice them adding about 1.5 litres of boiling water. Let it cool down 5 minutes and add 2 -3 desert spoons of natural honey. Don't ever add boiling water to honey as it kills the beneficial properties it contains.

If you don't mind ginger add a few shavings of fresh ginger into it and take with paracetamol. Lemons are packed with vitamin C, honey is great for soothing a sore throat and decongestion. Ginger also has good anti inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Also echinacea is excellent for fighting colds and flu.

You are what you eat and there's a lot of truth in that cliche.

I was talking to a friend earlier on the phone, he told me he can't drink lager any more as he gets heartburn and gassed up. If he does want to drink lager cider or ales he has to take heartburn tablets like Zantac or Rennies. Never needed either as I've eaten natural full fat yoghurt all my life, and not the chalk like zero and low fat varieties. Yoghurt is alkaline, neutralising stomach acid. And I have it with a spoon of natural organic honey added: )

Millions of people buy honey and lemon based products for cold flu and sore throats in syrup tablets and capsules. Made with powdered lemon and cheap honey, you're definitely not getting the good stuff.

Best buying a bag of 4-6 lemons and juice them adding about 1.5 litres of boiling water. Let it cool down 5 minutes and add 2 -3 desert spoons of natural honey. Don't ever add boiling water to honey as it kills the beneficial properties it contains.

If you don't mind ginger add a few shavings of fresh ginger into it and take with paracetamol. Lemons are packed with vitamin C, honey is great for soothing a sore throat and decongestion. Ginger also has good anti inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Also echinacea is excellent for fighting colds and flu.

You are what you eat and there's a lot of truth in that cliche. I was talking to a friend earlier on the phone, he told me he can't drink lager any more as he gets heartburn and gassed up. If he does want to drink lager cider or ales he has to take heartburn tablets like Zantac or Rennies. Never needed either as I've eaten natural full fat yoghurt all my life, and not the chalk like zero and low fat varieties. Yoghurt is alkaline, neutralising stomach acid. And I have it with a spoon of natural organic honey added: )

My Dad often tells me of his workmate Frank from the 70's. As was the practise he liked a fag - travelled in draughty works vans - watched City from the open air bit between the North Stand and the Kippax and got soaked...regularly but had a spoonful of honey every morning and never ever had a cold or a sore throat so maybe it does work.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.