Is our cycle of dominance coming to an end?

GX Blue said:
We had the potential to be the current Bayern standard plus more 2 seasons back.

This is exactly what is wrong with City fans now. Why not Celtic? PSG? Juventus? The combo of Barcelona and Real? Or Ajax and PSV? Or Benfica and Porto?

If you want the PL to be dead I understand your silly remark. I hate the old so called top 4 for being made the top 4. Happily these days are gone.

I want us to challenge every trophy. Winning is a bonus. Despite not being a Bayern, I enjoyed every year since the sheik took over. Some are never happy.

there's a good third of our squad who either under-performed or just don't fit stylistically in helping us maximise the performance of the team. Instead of being a clear vision of a Premier League interpretation of Pep's style as we were in 17/18, we're now stuck somewhere between that and Pep's Barca without Messi and the end result is not much of anything.

What does this mean ?

We have dominated domestic football for the last 10 years but history always tells us that football is cyclical.

Our dominance was predominantly built on a core of Kompany, Toure, Silva, Aguero (and Fernandinho). All of them had/have true leadership, determination and left such an incredible mark on our club they have been and will be extremely difficult to replace.

Since then we’ve never signed the real world class player, but instead have trained potential up to being world class. Hence our model is built on players coming in with the right mentality, with a point to prove and supplementing our main men.

Eventually that model misses the target on recruitment or you lack enough leaders in the dressing room such that those with potential don’t live up to the hype.

With potentially all of the above gone by the end of this season, who is going to step up.
We now have a vacuum of vocal/physical leaders in the dressing room that is more important now than adding quality.

Without them we become weak (Arsenal, Chelsea and United have shown this in recent years) and without them we struggle to attract the superstar again without paying the big wages we did at the start.

We are at a critical time in our recent history, where we are still living off the foundations built by the players at the top. But soon as they are gone, who is there to carry the burden.

KDB will be one.
But after that we need a CB, a CDM and a ST all that dominate where we currently have none (once aguero is gone).

You can win cups with good players that deliver in the moment, but you will not dominate for an extended period without a spine of leaders. And currently we are miles off that.

Kompany, Toure, Silva, Aguero were not World class when we signed them,
Toure couldn't get a game at Barca, Kompany was 8 million, Silva and Aguero were incredible potential. We will carry on doing the same. Our recruitment gets criticism it does not deserve.
And we do have some undeserving fans.

GX Blue said:
We had the potential to be the current Bayern standard plus more 2 seasons back.

This is exactly what is wrong with City fans now. Why not Celtic? PSG? Juventus? The combo of Barcelona and Real? Or Ajax and PSV? Or Benfica and Porto?

If you want the PL to be dead I understand your silly remark. I hate the old so called top 4 for being made the top 4. Happily these days are gone.

I want us to challenge every trophy. Winning is a bonus. Despite not being a Bayern, I enjoyed every year since the sheik took over. Some are never happy.

This a thread about if our cycle of dominance is coming to an end. Remember that....
It’s not about City fans being entitled and expecting to be the best of all time every season. No one has that right.

You’ve taken my post in this particular topic completely the wrong way.

I mentioned Bayern because they won the CL 3 weeks ago and everyone was impressed with their team so it’s easy to get my point across to a wide range of footballing fans if I reference them as they are fresh in people’s minds.

there's a good third of our squad who either under-performed or just don't fit stylistically in helping us maximise the performance of the team. Instead of being a clear vision of a Premier League interpretation of Pep's style as we were in 17/18, we're now stuck somewhere between that and Pep's Barca without Messi and the end result is not much of anything.
Exactly, some of our players are too fast for the direction Pep seems to be taking us.

Kompany, Toure, Silva, Aguero were not World class when we signed them,
Toure couldn't get a game at Barca, Kompany was 8 million, Silva and Aguero were incredible potential. We will carry on doing the same. Our recruitment gets criticism it does not deserve.
And we do have some undeserving fans.
So your saying mendy, cancelo. Stones have been good signings? For the money they’ve been bloody awful. Generally though we have the recruited reasonably well over recent years.

So your saying mendy, cancelo. Stones have been good signings? For the money they’ve been bloody awful. Generally though we have the recruited reasonably well over recent years.
Where did I mention those 3. I mentioned the 4 four players that were mentioned in the post I replied to.
I would add that there are plenty of players that have gone for record prices that some of the transfer "stars " on here have told us must be bought that are now languishing at other clubs.

Last edited:
The way our owners have set the club up means we will challenge for trophies consistently. The tine will cone when pep leaves but he was also brought in to ibstill his and cruyffs philosophy, so that when a new manager arrives he holds the same principles but can also build on that style of football to make it better

Unlike other clubs that will come ago and start from scratch every time they get a new manager.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.