Is our cycle of dominance coming to an end?

We had the potential to be the current Bayern standard plus more 2 seasons back.

Mahrez, Rodri, Cancelo all cost about £200m and added nothing to the centurions team. All good players but added nothing more to that XI.

We didn’t replace Kompany. A world class CB and leader.

Rodri for Fernandinho is such a downgrade it’s untrue. What Fernandinho did for that team defensively was phenomenal.

And now with DSilva leaving and Fernandinho and Aguero almost done that’s 3 more world class players who won’t be replaced with players of their level.

Not to mention Sane leaving. He brought the speed, directness and excitement.

It’s been a bad couple of years off the pitch. And when I say bad, I mean for the standards we’d hope to achieve. Obviously we’ve done ok.

We are now just a good team in with a shout. Not a brilliant team who everyone is afraid of. We got close to being dominant for years but we let the chance pass.

I’ll never forget that season though. What a team that was 2 years back.

Pretty much sums it up for me. For some reason we don't often seem to target players who will improve the first team, they're always just decent squad fillers.

We were unstoppable for two seasons and it was wonderful. We should be targeting signings like Haaland and Sancho to keep that standard going.

Semper agrressus you are 100% right in what you said. Both Haaland and Sancho are the type of players we should be going after. The likes of Koubily at 29yrs old for the money he will have to pay out for him it is not worth it.

If Koubily is the player that Pep wants then we should be looking to her buying him for no more than £20 million. I am starting to wonder if it is time to be looking to replace Pep. If Pep thinks that paying in excess of £60 million for a 29yrs old CB is worth it. I am sorry but that just looks like madness to me.

Semper agrressus you are 100% right in what you said. Both Haaland and Sancho are the type of players we should be going after. The likes of Koubily at 29yrs old for the money he will have to pay out for him it is not worth it.

If Koubily is the player that Pep wants then we should be looking to her buying him for no more than £20 million. I am starting to wonder if it is time to be looking to replace Pep. If Pep thinks that paying in excess of £60 million for a 29yrs old CB is worth it. I am sorry but that just looks like madness to me.

Sancho was at City and wanted to leave so it’s not like we didn’t identify him.

Haaland went to BD so him and his dad could collect to quick huge pay days so he wouldn’t have come.

KK was a very good centre half up until recently so we have identified him as our best fit. We could get 5 years out of him. I’d prefer Upamecano but maybe we want a leader.

Pep is one of a number of people at City who identify transfer targets he doesn’t set the price.

Finally exactly who are you replacing Pep with and does his achievements not count for anything?

All in all I don’t agree with any of your points.

We had the potential to be the current Bayern standard plus more 2 seasons back.

Mahrez, Rodri, Cancelo all cost about £200m and added nothing to the centurions team. All good players but added nothing more to that XI.

Rodri for Fernandinho is such a downgrade it’s untrue. What Fernandinho did for that team defensively was phenomenal.

And now with DSilva leaving and Fernandinho and Aguero almost done that’s 3 more world class players who won’t be replaced with players of their level.

It’s been a bad couple of years off the pitch. And when I say bad, I mean for the standards we’d hope to achieve. Obviously we’ve done ok.

We are now just a good team in with a shout. Not a brilliant team who everyone is afraid of. We got close to being dominant for years but we let the chance pass.

Good points mate.
Unless players like Rodri, Cancello, Mendy and Stones start playing a lot better than they have I think we could struggle.
4 poor signings right there.

Haaland went to BD so him and his dad could collect to quick huge pay days so he wouldn’t have come.

KK was a very good centre half up until recently so we have identified him as our best fit. We could get 5 years out of him. I’d prefer Upamecano but maybe we want a leader.

Pep is one of a number of people at City who identify transfer targets he doesn’t set the price.

Finally exactly who are you replacing Pep with and does his achievements not count for anything?

Surprised he didn't want to take pep to court, or cancel xmas -)

I agree with most of this but in England even great teams have a bit of a roller coaster because the PL is more competitive than the Bundesliga or in Spain. Its very difficult to replace once-in-a-generation players like Vinny and Sergio no matter how big you spend.
I am optimstic for the next batch though. I believe Rodri and Cancelo will come good this season, Bernardo will regain his high level, and Foden will really shine. Like you I miss Sane. He was inconsistent but brilliant at times, and much better than the over-hyped Sancho. I agree about Mahrez. He's fantastic but just doesn't play for the team (like Rodney Marsh perhaps?)

Upamecano should be busting the bank for him in fact we should have got signed sealed delivered right after CL finished

Good points mate.
Unless players like Rodri, Cancello, Mendy and Stones start playing a lot better than they have I think we could struggle.
4 poor signings right there.

there's a good third of our squad who either under-performed or just don't fit stylistically in helping us maximise the performance of the team. Instead of being a clear vision of a Premier League interpretation of Pep's style as we were in 17/18, we're now stuck somewhere between that and Pep's Barca without Messi and the end result is not much of anything.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.