Is there a better "strength in depth" squad in England?

ChicagoBlue

Was checking the MCFC Store site and was thinking about getting the new Euro Shirt and checked out the squad numbers to see if I fancied one. Looking over the list, I realized what an UNBELIEVABLE squad of players we have at our disposal and what excellent strength in depth in each position we have, especially given the way Mancini likes to switch from the 4-4-2 to 3-5-2 to 5-3-2.

Many of our players were purchased because they are so flexible and can play in multiple positions. For instance, are there two more versatile, competent and hard working players in the league than the likes of Zabaleta and Milner?

GK - Hart/Pantilimon/Wright

RB - Richards/Maicon/Zabaleta
CB - Kompany/Lescott/Kolo/Nastasic/Rekik
LB - Kolarov/Clichy

MF - Milner/Nasri/Sinclair/Garcia/Rodwell/Barry/Silva/Yaya/Razak/Suarez

CF - Dzeko/Aguero/Tevez/Balotelli

That could be the best 27 man depth EVER assembled in the England!

"First Team"
.................................Hart
.............Richards.....Kompany.....Lescott
Maicon....................................................Kolarov
...............................Garcia
..............Silva............................Yaya
.......................Tevez
.....................................Aguero

"Second Team"

.............................Pantilimon

Zabaleta........Nastasic.........Kolo...........Clichy

Milner...........Nasri..........Rodwell...........Sinclair

..................Dzeko..................Balotelli

And THAT is with Barry out while he gets his "pre-season" fitness under him!!

It is LITERALLY FRIGHTENING how good we COULD be this season, even while giving the players the rest they need to be fresh come March/April/May 2013 when the silverware starts getting serious.

Clearly, we have a few different systems, so how do you guys think the 3-5-2/5-3-2 and 4-4-2s will line up against the different opposition? Obviously, there will be some mix-and-match over time, but which players are best suited to the two different line-ups?

Excellent observations, and with Guidietti to add to the strikers. Does mean we will struggle to keep them all happy. But with 38 league games, potentially 13? Champions league games, upto 6 f.a. cup games and upto 6 league cup games, they should all play a number of games.
Add to that injuries and suspensions, you appreciate the squad.

Re: Is there a better "strength in depth" squad in England?

After taking so much stick for his summer dealings, Brian Marwood has to take a lot of credit for shifting 2 players, finding 2 able replacements, 2 excellent young prospects and a CL winner.

Re: Is there a better

NQCitizen said:
After taking so much stick for his summer dealings, Brian Marwood has to take a lot of credit for shifting 2 players, finding 2 able replacements, 2 excellent young prospects and a CL winner.

The stick was for not obtaining the primary targets, which he hasnt. However, all of those purchased are good 2nd choices though.

Re: Is there a better "strength in depth" squad in England?

Unfortunately with all that depth I feel we're still weighed a little to far in favour of hard working 'grafter' types and a little more in need of a unpredictable (not so much of the Balotelli variety) attacking type. Probably only by one player though in honesty. If you added someone like Hazard, who can play a variety of attacking positions with, sorry that word again, pace.. It's looking very well balanced.

Just hope we can find another Yaya before he hangs up his boots.

tiptopcheshireblue said:
Excellent observations, and with Guidietti to add to the strikers.

Anyone know how Guidetti's rehab is going? Saw him on that scooter-bike at Carrington (Reminded me of Roy of the Rovers when he had an injury about 19, but wonder if that is just to keep up his strength or that he is on his way back and the leg problem is "cured"??

adrianr said:
Unfortunately with all that depth I feel we're still weighed a little to far in favour of hard working 'grafter' types and a little more in need of a unpredictable (not so much of the Balotelli variety) attacking type. Probably only by one player though in honesty. If you added someone like Hazard, who can play a variety of attacking positions with, sorry that word again, pace.. It's looking very well balanced.

Just hope we can find another Yaya before he hangs up his boots.

I agree with the OP in the our squad is close to perfect, but Hazard would have completed us. We don't need another player in the mould of silva, nasri, mata or carzola. We need a direct skillful player in the mould of Di Maria, Pedro, Hazard or even Nani though I would not buy him personally.

I console myself knowing that inevitably some great player will become available next season and without the need to buy 5 players this season we will be more inclined to splash out on one player.

Darkhorse said:
I console myself knowing that inevitably some great player will become available next season and without the need to buy 5 players this season we will be more inclined to splash out on one player.

i think that is the plan. That and blooding a youngster or two as we go.

Onwards and upwards!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.