Is there a better "strength in depth" squad in England?

We have the best depth imo, defense is about as solid as you can get.

That said we look solid everywhere if you don't play fantasy final soccer manager 2013 type games.
Then nothing it seems will suffice :p

MSP said:
I think United has as good squad as City, if not better.. their first team is still far away though.

United lack alot of players they need like a DMF player of any note or any decent full backs, both area's we are blessed 5 decent fullbacks and 4 decent DMF players, our reserve stikers are also better than there's. only part of there squad better than ours is the amount of wingers they have which we dont use anyway<br /><br />-- Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:46 am --<br /><br />KEEPERS
Hart
Pantilimon
Wright
Nielsen

FULLBACKS
Maicon
Richards
Clichy
Kolarov
Zabaleta

C.DEFENDERS
Kompany
Lescott
Nastasic
Kolo

C.MIDFIELD
Yaya
Garcia
Rodwell
Barry
Razak

A.MIDFIELD - WING
Silva
Nasri
Sinclair
Milner

STRIKERS
Aguero
Tevez
Balotelli
Dzeko
Guidette

Hate to be pessimistic but no squad is falter proof if a couple of injuries in key positions occur, although that said the same applies to other teams.
I do feel it was a bit of a myth last season that we had a ridiculously large pool of top class players to choose from. We had two for each position but then below that second team I feel there is quite a gulf in not just quality but potentially reliability. Take Savic for example, whether he is misunderstood, lacking confidence etc, he could not be relied upon when he played. Compare this to those in Salford, and they managed without Vidic all season and still almost pipped us to it with some rather average defenders in Evans and Co.

I do feel more content with the backup we currently have and are in as stronger position as we were last year, just hopefully the 'strength in depth' will help us be more 'wobble proof' this year

Re: Is there a better

Ragnarok said:
NQCitizen said:
After taking so much stick for his summer dealings, Brian Marwood has to take a lot of credit for shifting 2 players, finding 2 able replacements, 2 excellent young prospects and a CL winner.

The stick was for not obtaining the primary targets, which he hasnt. However, all of those purchased are good 2nd choices though.

Yes, it's clearly Brian Marwood's fault that Sheikh Mansour didn't want to pay for De Rossi and Van Perise.

Really, you can't make this shit up.

MSP said:
I think United has as good squad as City, if not better.. their first team is still far away though.
I think the same.

MSP said:

i disagree, i think its the other way round; their strongest 11 is of a similar strength to ours, but they don't have the squad (look at the lack of midfielders, the lack of defenders, valencia playing as a RB on many occasions)

At the moment we have no idea how good Garcia,nastasic,Sinclair and Maicon are going to be.

We know that kolo is shite

We know that Milner is average, along with kolorov and Pants.

Key to success for me is keeping kompany, silva, nasri, yaya, Tevez and aguero as fit and available as possible.

In almost every area we have the best depth and in some places to an idiotic degree, specifically at RB/CDM/CM.

The only two areas we lack at our out wide and I'd say at CB. With wide players it makes sense as it's not out style and so we don't need to have players gathering dust for when we occasionally want width. At CB though I think we are quite light, hypothetically last season if Lescott and Kompany both suffered leg breaks we would of had months of Kolo and Savic and thats just not good enough. Kolo I do like and think he's good for the odd match/sub due to his vast experience but Savic was a real liability. Luckily/hopefully with Nasty we will have rectified this as he comes with a great review.

Still, so many of our squad could be starters for most the clubs in the league.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.