Is there a lack of intensity in our game? If so, how do we solve it?

I honestly think it's mental. I had no doubt that we would overhaul the scousers even just a few days ago, but despite the usual lip service shite from the players on Twitter, I'm not sure they believe it. They certainly don't fucking act that way anyhow.

I would also like to see Pep take some chances ffs, he isn't blameless by any stretch. Yes we have injuries. Put some youth in, freshen things up, it's hard work watching our midfield get bypassed game after game yet it's like fucking groundhog day every match.
Perhaps there just isn't a solution to Laporte getting injured.

We tried Ota. Failed. He was dropped.

We tried Fern. Failed. Still in the side.

I know there are other areas, but fundamentally it's the useless defence that has cost us points.

I am frustrated with the team sheet but I also know that when Laporte got injured I knew we would crumble. It's been hard to watch but it's really not Pep's fault or the replacement players. I am afraid that injuries are part and parcel of football. We have to accept our lot support our side and go on.

Aim to win every game and see where it takes us. We're still in my opinion the best club side in Europe. If you took VVD, or Salah out of Liverpool they'd be nowhere and they know it.

Reactions: TFC
There are two different aspects of intensity: the pace of running and the pace of passing the ball. The second is more important than the first. At some point in the 2nd half we started to play with more urgency and created 3-4 good chances, more than in the pervious 65-70 minutes. Pep's teams are mostly about the speed of thinking and passing. The latter wasn't quite there in the last months which indicates that the problem might be related also to mental tiredness. The thought that any dropped point might be fatal is a serious burden. Think Liverpool will get burned-out at some point this season too. The dream of the 1st PL title might help them to cope better though. Or, alternatively, make the burden even worse. A sudden collpase shouldn't be completely excluded.
They cold stumble but I wouldn't back this city side going away from home and beating anyone.

Perhaps there just isn't a solution to Laporte getting injured.

We tried Ota. Failed. He was dropped.

We tried Fern. Failed. Still in the side.

I know there are other areas, but fundamentally it's the useless defence that has cost us points.

I am frustrated with the team sheet but I also know that when Laporte got injured I knew we would crumble. It's been hard to watch but it's really not Pep's fault or the replacement players. I am afraid that injuries are part and parcel of football. We have to accept our lot support our side and go on.

Aim to win every game and see where it takes us. We're still in my opinion the best club side in Europe. If you took VVD, or Salah out of Liverpool they'd be nowhere and they know it.

I wouldnt say Ferna has failed - he has played well there.....infct he has been the best of the lot in the back 4 ...what it des do however is stop us playing Ferna in midfied where we undoubtedly miss him

They cold stumble but I wouldn't back this city side going away from home and beating anyone.

Think you are right.
Even if they have a dip in form our present performnces just wont see us win the games to catch them....Leicester are better set to catch them than us and we play them over the Xmas period

I wouldnt say Ferna has failed - he has played well there.....infct he has been the best of the lot in the back 4 ...what it des do however is stop us playing Ferna in midfied where we undoubtedly miss him
He has been useless as a defender. He had a good game against Chelsea but generally he has been very poor. He may not have cost us the first goal at Newcastle but he didn't react and close the man down. He was at fault for the 2nd although whether it was a free-kick I am not sure. For some reason every mistake Ota makes is highlighted but when Fern does similar it is ignored.

Think you are right.
Even if they have a dip in form our present performnces just wont see us win the games to catch them....Leicester are better set to catch them than us and we play them over the Xmas period
City's dip is down to injuries - it's temporary. But the damage is done. And the injured players wont be back for some weeks yet.

The obvious answer is youth. Players like foden would bring energy and creativity to our team.

Chelsea have done the same and you can see the difference

Its normal human behaviour imo.

The last 2 seasons were intense as fuck. The work rate has never been seen before. The incessant drive never seen before.

You win back to backs including a domestic quadruple as a result of your slavish, superhero level of effort.

At some stage you're going to think 'proved how good I am / we are, achieved my / our goals, made myself/ ourselves legends, I'm having a season off'.

The lads are humans not robots.

This lull was always going to come. No one can be that intense all the time.

At the start of the season I don't think it was a problem but at Norwich we were not even a mere shadow of ourselves and progressively we have got slower and slower, less and less aggressive and that swashbuckling press has all but vanished from our game. For about 20 minutes against Chelsea it all seemed that it might be flickering back into life but yesterday was tedious and lifeless. It isn't to be laid at the door of one player or even two or three: it is a collective malaise. Mendy is nothing like the player we bought, but KdB is only a shadow, Ferna has to play out of position and so on and so on. Everyone is affected and we can't blame it on injuries though they haven't helped. It is no good blaming anyone or everyone.

Pep has given us the answer and so oddly enough has Roy Keane. Keane said clearly that Pep lnows how hard it is to win trophies and I think we have all been blinded by the fabulous football City have played, the unprecedented points we have amassed and the hammerings we have handed out to believe that the last two seasons have been so easy. They haven't and they are a testimony to the skill, preparation and training and the simple soul destroying hard work put in by the manager, his staff and all the squad. And we've also forgotten that far from getting easier each season it gets harder to maintain the motivation and desire levels required.

So, I certainly don't know how to get back to the unique glories of 2017-9. It may be impossible, but I'm as sure as I can be that if anyone can do it it is Pep, his staff and those players.

The obvious answer is youth. Players like foden would bring energy and creativity to our team.

Chelsea have done the same and you can see the difference

Mmmmmm. Where are they compared with us? Youth is good but can’t play all season. Need to be eased in as per Foden

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.